Friday, April 25, 2014  

[Seagate Central...]

I've been thinking of getting a NAS for the longest time. I did my research, but all the products available were all a bit too "enterprise" for my liking. I didn't really need any fancy features. I just needed something I could use as a network drive, with password protection.

I chanced upon the Seagate Central recently, and thought that it matched my requirements very closely. WD also has something similar. In fact, they had multiple models. In the end, I decided to go with Seagate because I had a better experience with them with regard to traditional 3.5" hard-disks.

However, I did a double-take when I read the reviews on Amazon. To say the reviews were mixed would be an understatement. Usually, if a product is good, you will see most of the users giving it a 5-star rating, while a small percentage would give it ratings across the other four categories. On the other hand, if it was a shit product, most of the ratings would be near the bottom.

With the Seagate Central, reviews were spread quite evenly across all five categories. I don't usually see something like that. Reading the reviews, in fact, made me feel as if I was reading reviews for two different products - a very good NAS, and a shit NAS.

In any event, I decided to take a chance, and so far, I am not disappointed. I didn't encounter any of the slow transfer speeds mentioned by the reviewers on Amazon. I managed to get 80MB/s downloads and 40MB/s uploads, on a gigabit network environment. The remote access feature works. To be fair, I turned off DLNA, social, iTunes, and one other service which I cannot remember the name of right now. There's a chance that with these services on, transfer speeds would suck, but it really doesn't matter to me as I have no intentions of using them.

I am thinking of buying another one. This time from Amazon, as it's about $80 cheaper than the retail shops. This is an awesome product for me. I'm accessing it via WiFi now, so it's not an ideal setup (the gigabit network I mentioned earlier was for testing only). I can't wait to hook it up at my new place and enjoy having my data all in one place. I plan to build micro-ATX and NUC systems, running on SSDs, all mapped to the NAS via a gigabit network.

I can't wait!

^^^ by Locksley @ 7:59 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS