Thursday, September 20, 2012  

[The problem with hot water...]

I don't know how it works in your household, but this is how it works in mine.

We have a hot water flask. One of those things which is plugged in permanently to the power-point. You pour tap water in, it boils the water and keeps the water warm scalding hot.

For some reason, both my parents like to keep the water level in the flask full, or at least close to full. For some reason, which I have yet to discover after 30 year of living with them, we must never be out of hot water. My mother would even fill the water flask at night before going to sleep, to make sure there is a full flask of hot water throughout the night.

We also have a jug of normal, room-temperature water. When the water in this runs low, it is topped up by the water in the hot water flask. No one drinks the water immediately as it is insanely hot and let's face it, so is Singapore. We wait for the water to cool down before drinking it. Personally, I like using ice in my cup to cool it down even faster.

So here's what I don't understand: Why do we keep a huge reserve of scalding hot water on standby? Why don't we boil the water only when we need to top-up the jug of room-temperature water? The only time we need hot water is when my father makes a cup of coffee. Surely, keeping such a huge reserve of hot water at all times is unnecessary and a waste of energy.

I don't think I'm going to keep this practice when I move to my own place. Doesn't make sense.

^^^ by Locksley @ 3:06 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS