Tuesday, September 18, 2012  

[The end of an era...]

I got my very first mobile phone at 18 and every phone I've owned since had been a Nokia. Back then, Nokia phones were very common and popular. Their phones had an intuitive UI and was very easy to use. Even when you change to a newer Nokia, you will be able to get used to the new phone very quickly.

It is safe to say that Nokia has seen better days. I needed a new phone, and decided to join the Android camp and bought the HTC One X. After fiddling with it since Saturday night, I am done and fully migrated over. Some thoughts about the change...

The good. Internet surfing is much better. I can finally abuse my 12GB of bundled data by download files even when I am not at home. I bought the phone without contract, so I could stay on my existing plan with the data bundle. My calendar and notes are always synced with Google and Evernote, so I don't need to worry about my life getting into a mess should I lose my phone or if the phone dies on me.

The bad. Nokia phones have fantastic GPS navigation. Google Maps' Navigation feature is not available in Singapore, so I have lost the GPS function. I know about Brut, and I know there are other apps for GPS navigation. But the point is, it already works beautifully out of the box for Nokia phones. Why is Google being so difficult?

Nokia phones have a fantastic way of organising the phone's alert profiles. Android is lacking severely in this aspect. I won't go into the details, but I am rather miffed by the alert options in Android.

I haven't really done anything else for the past two days. I devoted my time to exploring and figuring out the OS, which is new to me. Now life can finally get back to normal.

^^^ by Locksley @ 12:12 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS