Friday, January 20, 2012  

[Losing myself...]

One of the first things I learned when I started working was that in times of doubt, go straight to the source. Take no chances and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

This mode of working has served me well.

Fast forward to today. I have spent about 15 months at my current workplace. The way we work here and the culture is quite different. Often times, we can't find any policy papers or procedures. We just ask around. Do we always get the right answers? Of course not. But we get by.

The other day I was faced with a problem and was asking separate parties on what should be the right way of interpreting a certain procedure. One of them told me that it would be best to get a colleague of ours to check with the authorities.

I was floored. What the hell happened to me? How did I not think of this first? And what the hell was I doing, then? After some thought, I realised I was organising a vote and trying to see which interpretation got the most votes.

This job is changing me. I think that's natural. But I just don't know if I am changing for the better or worse.

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:38 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS