Friday, May 06, 2011  

[Going the extra mile...]

Two days ago, I lost my Internet connection at home. My father was using it in the afternoon during a thunderstorm and after a very loud thunder-bolt, the Internet went dead.

It happened once before in the past. The service was restored without any intervention. This time, it did not. I called the Singtel Helpdesk the same night and they sent someone over yesterday. After some checks, the verdict was that the extension wiring from our main phone line into my room was fried.

They sent someone over today to get the rewiring done. At no cost. I was surprised, to say the least. Especially since the line I have in my room was not laid by them. It was laid by my uncle who was in the renovation business before he retired. Apparently, the cable he used was just an ordinary telephone cable. Not the type Singtel uses for wiring. Singtel uses a higher grade cable for wiring, which makes it more hardy against lightning strikes.

They sent over a different person to do the wiring and the person wasn't too tech-savvy. The fact that my wall-to-modem wiring runs through a UPS probably made it more complicated. Long story short, wiring was done, but he was unable to confirm that the Internet is back on because he can't figure out where the wires went in my home network.

My father was of the opinion that if the wiring was done, I will be able to sort out the connections later myself since it was my network. So he let the guy go. Shortly after, someone from Singtel called and asked that he switched on the modem, as they would be running some tests from their side.

Their tests must have failed, because three hours later, they sent over a three-person team to see what was wrong. As it turns out, I connected the modem to my router wrongly. It was disconnected when I came home yesterday and I absentmindedly connected it wrongly. Singtel could see this on their end and they sent someone over to investigate.

I am very impressed with their work antic. More so when rightfully, they should be able to see that connection has been restored (from the wall socket to the modem) and their job is actually over. But they went the extra mile to ensure that connection was restored, end to end. This was despite me telling the wiring guy that everything from router onwards will be taken care of by me (my father called when they could not figure out my network wiring).

I will write a letter of compliment to their customer service department when I have the time.




Tomorrow is Polling Day. It's a public holiday. Which means a day off-in-lieu!

I hope the country wakes up and realises the shit-hole we are in right now. And come tomorrow, we will be able to do something about it.

Saying sorry doesn't make it okay.




5th May 2011 marks the third anniversary of the day I started working.

So much has happened in the three years, both in my work and my personal life.

I am coping well with work, but getting more and more frustrated everyday. I took stock of what I was doing and realised that I've faced unexpected issues in every one of my projects and assignments so far. Nothing ever went smoothly.

This company is so operational in nature that the mindset of the company is to fire-fight. After the fire is put out, everyone is so exhausted and no one investigates the cause of the fire. So the fire comes back, and everyone fire-fights, and the cycle repeats.

I am considering bringing forward my exit strategy.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:40 PM. 1 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

excellent customer service there by singtel! they deserve your compliment letter :)
[<---Back to Main]
RSS