Sunday, December 19, 2010  

[Past memories...]

Once in a while, for reasons unknown to me, I get flashbacks of things that happened in the past. Actually maybe "flashbacks" isn't the right word to use. More like...Random memories from the past.

I usually don't dwell on them. I might reminisce a bit, but then I carry on with life at present.

I had another random memory just now. This one really made me think. I didn't think much of it when it happened, but I am doing it now.

I still remember the exact moment I received the news that I've been accepted by NUS. I was doing my NS and was on Jurong Island at the time. I was posted at this lookout point facing the sea. I remember the weather, the time of the day...I even remember the stray dog that we sort of "adopted". I remember my partner congratulating me.

A few days later, I had a change of partner. I was the only permanent personnel at the lookout point. I had a total of three different partners over the one month we were there. This was my third and final partner.

His life and mine was different in every single aspect. Things started out fine. After a few days, he received some very troubling news. He learned that he was going to be charged and likely to be going to jail (he didn't in the end, just paid a hefty fine). He did something bad before he enlisted and now his past has caught up with him.

His life turned out to be rather colourful. He didn't go to jail that time, but he eventually did for something else. He got married, and has two kids now. The last we spoke, everything seemed to have finally fallen into place for him.

But at that one moment in time, our lives couldn't have been more different. There we were, at the same place, doing the same things, but to different ends.

I don't know why I suddenly thought of all this. And, of all places, while I was in the toilet.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:51 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS