Monday, November 29, 2010  

[Making change...]

Something just occurred to me.

You know how when you pay for something with a $50 note and the cashier would ask if you have something smaller? Give them a $10 notes and they would happily accept.

I just realised how illogical it is.

Let's say I'm buying something that costs $5. What difference does it make whether I pay with a $10 note or a $50 note? The cashier is usually happier if someone pays using a $10 note. The only difference, if someone pays using a $50 note, is that the cashier needs to refund an additional four pieces of $10 notes.

So in fact, that's the only difference - the four $10 notes.

What would the cashier do with the $10 notes? It's not as if he could cut the note into pieces and give it out as smaller change. It has only one purpose - to be given out as change when someone pays with a $50 note.

So why are they so reluctant to do so?

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:51 PM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

eh because if everyone goes to them with 50 dollar bills and they use up all their 10 dollars for change, they'd not have the business of the next guy who comes with a 50 dollar bill because they can't make the change

it's simply really, they just want to reduce the number of people who are there just to break change. you'd notice they are less particular later in the day when they have enough small bills
You're probably right. I always want to break change because I withdraw a "whole" figure from the ATM and always end up getting only $50 notes. I'm starting to withdraw a different amount now (one that gives me $10 notes as well) that my workplace has an ATM right downstairs.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS