Thursday, July 08, 2010  

[Cursed for me...]

Today at work, we went out for lunch. We usually eat either at the food-court next door or the canteen downstairs. Today, we went to a food-court at the same place where I got bitten on Saturday (see previous post).

I think that place is cursed for me.

When I was eating, I felt a drop of water fall onto my right sleeve. I figured it was probably from a leaky air-con, so I didn't think much of it. After lunch, we walked back to the car-park and I smelt something very bad. I asked my colleagues and two of them smelt it as well.

I couldn't figure out what it was. In any case, I didn't smell it anymore once we were in the car.

When I reached my office, I smelt it again. This time, I thought it might be something on me. I looked at my shoes but didn't see anything. That was when I noticed my sleeve.

When water gets onto your clothes, after drying, it doesn't leave anything behind. The drop of water that got on me left behind a brown mark. I took a whiff and nearly lost consciousness.

That was where the bad smell was coming from. Smells like sewage, to be honest. I tried washing it off with hand soap, to no avail. After washing, I could still smell it on me. It was that lethal.

I decided that I should go home and change. I told my supervisor, and he suggested that I pack up my stuff and work from home for the rest of the day instead, lest I travel to and fro. I took his suggestion and worked from home for the rest of the day. Which was great, because with less distractions, I actually got more done at home.

I was pretty miffed about the whole thing. Although I did get to get off work early. I've sent two emails - one to the shopping centre and another to the food-court operator. Let's see if they respond. The cinema (see previous post) has yet to reply...I'll give it a week or two before I reveal where it happened.




I switched from M1 to SingTel recently. So far, their performance has been disappointing. To start with, their plans are rather prehistoric - no bundled MMS and no per-second billing.

After being on their network for about a month, I noticed two very strange things which I never encountered when I was on M1 (for about 10 years).

First, multi-part messages get delayed. Suppose someone sent me a long SMS which is broken up into different messages for sending. The first two messages will always reach me very quickly. But I have to wait for the last message to come in. They usually come in within the hour, but not immediately. I don't know why.

Second, they can't find me for some reason. Someone would call me and get the message that I cannot be reached. All this time, my phone was switched on and reception is perfect. SingTel sends out an alert message for "missed calls" of such nature, and only then am I alerted to this problem. It happened a few days ago when my sister (M1) tried calling me. It happened again today when a colleague tried calling me (Starhub). I have never encountered such things before when I was on M1.

On the whole, I am rather disappointed with SingTel. Maybe they feel that because they are the biggest player in town, they can afford to be sloppy? I don't know. But the minute M1 offers a plan that meets my requirements, I am jumping back over to them.




A friend of mine is working on an online event organiser that looks promising. I don't think it is open to public yet, but this might be something you want to bookmark for the future.




If you've read this far, please do me a favour. Let me know via comments if my tweets are showing up on the right. I haven't been seeing them for a while. I tried fixing them this afternoon and it worked for a while before dying again. Oh, and let me know your ISP. My ISP has problems displaying certain sites (not kidding...how shitty is that?) so knowing whether you can see the tweets and what ISP you are on will help me fix the problem. Thanks.

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:02 PM. 3 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

not working
not working ~ haha
This blows. I changed something yesterday and it worked for a while. It also updated correctly when I posted new tweet. Dammit...
[<---Back to Main]
RSS