Wednesday, June 23, 2010  

[Hardware woes...]

I can't remember the last time when I had so many hardware problems in such a short span of time.

I was using a 3rd-party software to copy something from a DVD earlier and the software alerted me to the fact that the DVD drive I was using was no longer DMA-enabled. I checked, and sure enough, it was reported to be operating in PIO-mode.

I did the natural thing - rebooted the machine. It didn't work. I did a search on Google, to be honest, I didn't expect to find an answer. I was surprised to find a few articles on this topic.

As it turns out, when WinXP has trouble using a DVD drive at DMA-mode after a few tries, it would switch to PIO-mode permanently. Doesn't matter what settings you choose after that. It will remain in PIO-mode. There are several ways to recover from this issue, one of which is to uninstall that "channel" and let WinXP install it again. When it does (after a reboot, of course), it would be working at DMA-mode again.

It worked. But still, I hope nothing else goes wrong. I still haven't fixed my wireless router. If things go as planned, I would be buying a new one tomorrow after work.

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:41 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[<---Back to Main]