Sunday, June 13, 2010  

[The gods of hardware are angry...]

All my hardware equipment are failing one by one.

First, it was the PSU in my computer, which I only just recovered from. It took me a while because I took the chance to change a hard disk and reformat my system. In the past, something like this will take me three to four days to complete (which includes installing back all the software I regularly use). This time, it took me about eleven days because I could only work on it a few hours a night when I'm back home from work.

Just as the dust settled on this, my phone died. Actually no, not really. I have two phones. A regular phone, and a non-camera one for work. It took me a long time to find two phones that ran on the same OS and could sync with each other. This was important to me because I organise my life using my phone. And it worked. Until this week.

It's complicated, but the phones are now no longer able to sync correctly with each other. I tried updating the firmware of my regular phone, but it didn't solve the problem. I was unable to update the firmware of the non-camera phone because it's pretty low-end and didn't have this option.

And I did a rather silly thing when I updated the firmware. I installed Nokia's software on my system. I shouldn't have done that. There is a "spare" laptop in the house now. I figured that this laptop would be useful when I needed to test software, or install something I would only use once. I don't like installing software on my own system that I may only use once or twice, because there's no real way to really uninstall it. You can uninstall it properly using the application and delete the left-behind folder, but you'll never know if something else is left behind, somewhere deep in the system folders. It's not a big issue, but I'm just irritated by the thought that there may be some bit of rubbish somewhere in my system and I don't know where it is.

Just when I'm trying to resolve this issue with my phones, my wireless router sort-of died. The wired connections are fine, but wireless doesn't seem to be working. Both laptops in the house are unable to connect. So I figured it should be an issue with the wireless router. There is no immediate urgency to fix this, but I will have to look at it sooner or later.

And then, while minor, the watch I was wearing when I was out last night died on me. A battery change should take care of it. But I still think I'm cursed by the hardware gods or something. Everything's breaking down.

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:28 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS