Thursday, June 24, 2010  

[Fixed!]

I fixed my router last night. The only thing I changed was the SSID broadcast. It used to be disabled. Now it's enabled. My philosophy when I bought the router was that I wanted to enable every security feature there was, even if they were easily broken (like MAC address filtering, SSID broadcast, etc). Disabling of SSID broadcast for security purposes is crap as the network name is still revealed via four other ways (if I remember correctly).

Anyway...I have heard of cases where devices are unable to connect to the router when SSID broadcast is disabled. But I never had any problems for the past five years. I don't know what changed.

In any case, I managed to use WPA2 again. I downgraded the encryption on my wireless network to WPA because my sister's new Dell laptop didn't seem to support WPA2. Under the wireless options, there was an option for WPA but not WPA2. I've always thought that this was very odd. Looking up this issue online didn't provide any hints. I finally decided to read the Help section and found out that the WPA option is actually for both WPA and WPA2 - the laptop will use the corresponding standard depending on what the router is using. So it's back to WPA2.

Can't believe that had me stumped for six months.

^^^ by Locksley @ 8:41 PM. 1 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

i was gonna ask you how you fixed the router. but i won't do that anymore, cause dunno what you're talking about here also. haha!
[<---Back to Main]
RSS