Friday, April 10, 2009  

[New table!]

I've been planning to change the furniture in my room for a while. Last year, I put my plan into action and changed to a new bed, one that allows me to put boxes underneath so I could use the space below for storage.

The second part of my plan involved getting a L-shaped table for my room. I had to get rid of my fish tank first, which was a good idea since I really didn't have any time for it after graduating and starting work. But looking for the right table took me a long time.

I finally settled on the GALANT table from IKEA. I liked the GALANT because it allows mix and matching, so I could get a table which is the exact size I wanted. Most importantly, the height of the table is adjustable. Most tables are 75cm tall. I liked mine a little lower.

So my room went from this...


...to this.


All it took was six hours and $434. Assembling the table itself took me two hours. I was concerned about how much weight the table would be able to support...You would too, if you saw how the adjustable legs worked. The legs are locked into position entirely based on friction. The table-top itself weighed a ton, and I was gonna place several heavy-weight items on the table (my CPU and the laser printer) so I was really concerned. Although after some thinking-through, I think the way the legs are arranged...In a "A" shape, probably helps. If they were straight up at 90-degrees, I think it would not be able to hold all the weight.

One thing that amazed me...The table legs can be any length you wanted. There aren't any notches that would snap into position after adjustment. You adjust the legs to the length you wanted (there were markings on them) and just twist to "lock". I was thinking how the hell was I gonna be able to get them all the same length (six legs in all). To my amazement, I got them all the same length on my first try. I know because I used this tool that checks if something is level to the ground. Glad I didn't have to keep adjusting the legs...I would lose my freaking mind.

Not gonna lie, it was an insane amount of effort. I had to transfer my computer over which was a huge task by itself. I took the opportunity to clean the wires and the back of the components. Then I went through the drawers of my study table and threw away most of the things in them. Some of the stuff in them were from over ten years ago.

Next step, is to get a new display card (thinking of a Raedon 4870HD 1GB) and a new monitor (22" probably). I was unable to upgrade my monitor when I was using my old table because there wasn't any space for expansion. 30% of my laser printer was hanging in the air as it was. Will definitely get a new hard disk as well, as well as a new keyboard and mouse. I used to think that getting wireless keyboard/mouse for desktop systems was lame, but I get it now. It would be a lot neater and easier to move around if my keyboard and mouse were wireless.

^^^ by Locksley @ 8:25 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS