Monday, April 13, 2009  

[Did they really think it through?]

There's a problem with my new keyboard. There's an intermittent problem with the "M" button. Sometimes it simply won't work. I "fix" the problem by picking up the keyboard and "bending" it a little (sounds crazy but I don't know how else to describe it). But if I move the keyboard (which I will, since it is wireless and that's the whole point of getting a wireless keyboard/mouse combo), the problem comes back again. Good news is, Microsoft is very efficient when it comes to RMA. They will send someone to your door-step to exchange whatever it is you want to RMA. I'll observe the problem and see how to proceed...

And anyway, what I really want to rant about are the instructions that came with the keyboard/mouse combo. I think we all know that keyboards and mice do not require drivers or additional software to work, whether PS/2 or USB. So when I read the instructions which came with them and saw that they emphasised installing the software before plugging in the keyboard/mouse, I thought it was weird.

If someone bought the keyboard/mouse as part of a new system, how can they possibly install the software before plugging in the keyboard and mouse? That just doesn't make sense. How would you navigate? In fact, I think the BIOS might not boot up at all if it doesn't detect a keyboard.

Did they think through the process before the released the product's instructions?

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:40 PM. 3 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

allow me to explain, most of the mice and keyboards work out of the box. the drivers are only if you wish to customize and reprogram your buttons. Eg, button 4 and 5 of a mouse is typically forward and backward (like when you browse a website) if you wish to reprogram it for a desktop environment, you need a driver. Similar for keyboard I believe. Bind open Firefox on the key which by default opens IE, etc.
Yeah, I know they work by default and the software is only for the additional buttons to work. In fact, some of the additional buttons will also work in WinXP by default (volume control, for example).

The type you mentioned was in my original post. I removed them because it was becoming a WOT. :P
my keyboard has some buttons which only work on specific programs. volume controls work globally but next and pause only works with WMP. i don't recall installing drivers.. oh well
[<---Back to Main]
RSS