Thursday, January 15, 2009  

[Perspective...]

Those who know me, know that I'm not a religious person. Nothing against anyone who is; but I'm just not. However, I do believe that there are some sort of "checks and balances" in life. Some call it fate, some call it destiny, some call it lady luck. It goes by many names. For me, I see it whenever I encounter something that puts whatever problem I was facing into perspective - my problems are really not that big.

When I came home after work on Tuesday, my rig wouldn't start. After some fiddling around, which luckily did not take too long, I realised that my display card was dead. This display card will be the death of me. I bought it about one year ago and got it exchanged after a month because something on the card fried. After a year, it died completely. It's still covered by warranty but I'm not sure if I would go get it fixed.

I did not get much sleep throughout the night. I was too preoccupied with what to do with my rig. I needed a bigger hard disk as it is, should I get a new one with a new display card? How about a brand new monitor? I've been meaning to get a new one too (I'm still on a 4:3 LCD). But in order to get a new monitor, I need to change my table, etc etc.

On Wednesday morning, I was still considering my options. Money is an issue, since most of my pay-check every month goes into servicing my school loans. I don't have a lot left at the end of most months. On months with extra expenditures, I actually end up in the red. Time is another. If I were to do a semi-major upgrade, I would need to reinstall the OS, applications and do a whole bunch of other stuff. That would take me maybe two to three days? I could take leave...But the idea of going through all that trouble just doesn't make me feel very enthusiastic.

I was still wrestling with the decision on the bus to work yesterday morning. I was seated on one of those facing-each-other seats. The bus was packed. I was trying to take a nap but my brain wouldn't let me. I heard the woman in the seat opposite mine take a call on her mobile and she said, "He/She left already?" She spoke in Chinese, hence I didn't know whether was she referring to a male or female person.

Doesn't sound like anything, does it? I never thought much about it. Until the next time my eyes drifted over to her face.

Her nose was red and she was wiping tears from her eyes. She was crying, not bawling or anything, but it was really obvious. I immediately realised what had happened. When she alighted at NUH and rushed all the way across the overhead bridge more or less confirmed what I thought.

I didn't know that woman, nor the person she was referring to. But my frustrations towards my current computer problems vanished in an instant. It's really not that big a deal, compared to what some people are dealing with in their lives.

Anyway, after doing some research and looking at the SLS pricelists, I've weighed the options and decide to use on-board display for the time being. It sucks, the colour's off for some websites and I can't play any games that require 3D acceleration (read: all good games), but I can live with it. I plan to get a new table for my room sometime in the middle of the year and I would do a major overhaul of my current rig at the end of 2009.

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:22 AM. 4 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

What's your budget? HDD is dirt cheap right now and there are decently cheap mid-high end gfx card. I got my 9600 GT for under 200.
Not that much a budget issue actually. I did some calculations...I would need about $800+ for a new display card, monitor and hard disk. I might not get a hard disk eventually, so that would be about $600?

But my current rig is only about a year old. I think I would wait till the end of the year before I upgrade. Would make more changes then.

First, I need to get a new table.
suqin use her comp on her floor! no need desk
I haven't reached that stage. :P
[<---Back to Main]
RSS