Sunday, October 19, 2008  

[Random bits...]

Had an attack of allergic rhinitis this morning. I guess I was overdue for an episode. What I hate about it is the fact that I get very lethargic when it happens. I took an antihistamine and other than the lethargy, I'm more or less okay.




I finally switched over to Firefox. I have never contemplated switching from IE because I was comfortable with it and simply cannot be bothered. But recent events left me with no choice.

First off, IE7 has a very serious memory leak problem. As you surf, the amount of memory taken up by IE7 just grows. And it keeps growing. I use a RAM monitor and very often I see IE7 taking up 300-500MB of RAM. With SP3, I thought they would do something about it. Not only did they not do anything to fix this problem, they created a new one.

Ever since the installation of SP3, IE7 has been insanely unstable. It would freeze up while browsing. Very annoying. The other night, it happened seven times as I went though my daily surfing routine and I almost lost it. Time for a change.

Firefox is indeed faster. Much faster. But it takes more clicks for me to get some of the things done. I guess that's just something I need to get used to. I haven't been using it long enough to tell if Firefox has a similar memory leak problem (I think it did, in the past), but I'm keeping a close eye on my RAM monitor.

One issue though, is that my blog's layout looks different on Firefox than it did on IE. Not exactly the way I wanted it to be. But I guess I can live with it. Can't be bothered to change it anyway.




For about 90 minutes in the early afternoon, a car alarm was going off somewhere in the distance. I'm glad it's somewhere far so it's not too loud, otherwise it would drive me crazy. Why do all car alarms sound the same? Repeating a series of different tones. That's stupid. When an alarm sounds, how would you know if it's your's?




Received a call from a guy from Readers' Digest. These jokers always call on a Sunday. How hardworking. Anyway, he once called and asked if I wanted to renew my subscription - when I had over 14 issues to go. Luckily I checked before making any commitment.

When he called earlier, I went to check the end date of my subscription. January 2010. Isn't that a tad early? I asked him what's the expiry date of my subscription in his records.

He told me he lost his records.

What. The. Fuck.

I wasn't in the mood, so I told him I'm covered till Jan 2010 and that was it. Now I regret not giving him a good telling-off. What a moron. How hard can it be to keep track of your customers' subscription expiry date? It's printed on the mailer that comes with the magazine every month. And for him to get it wrong once, and now admitting that he lost it...What a douche.

^^^ by Locksley @ 5:09 PM. 7 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

Welcome to Firefox! Hahaha.. what stuff are you having difficulty doing? Firefox extensions rox and it's more secure (sometimes too secure). I suggest you check out the stuff suggested by lifehacker.com
The way bookmarks are opened, for one thing. IE closes the bookmark panel after you've clicked on a link. In FF, it stays open. Bit of an issue now, since I'm still on a 4:3 LCD. I think the panel staying open would probably be a good idea once I switch to a 16:9.

Also, IE has this little thing next to a bookmark for you to open it in a new tab. As far as I can tell, in FF, I need to hold down CTRL everytime.

Still getting used to it. Not too bad on the whole. Haven't checked out the add-ons yet.
FF Add-on recommendation:-
- download statusbar
- flashgot
- session manager

When you're done getting used to FF and agreed that it is much better than IE, it's time for you to try Linux!!! It's time to get rid of all those MS gold digging products and use FOC open source products!

I'm using Ubuntu now, for both home and office.
Getting used to a browser is one thing, but getting used to an entirely different OS is another. I love my games. :P

And anyway, my Win XP is a free, legal copy. ;)
Haha, I switched OS during the period after the Vista promo with end of XP life news and before the announcement of XP life extension...

But I have to say the issue of XP is not really a big factor. Looking at MS strategy, everyone's gonna need more powerful hardware for their OSs in the future.

That's the big reason why I look for alternatives. The requirement for Vista's slick graphics is twice as much or more compare to linux's. One of the things that surprises me even now.

In fact, I'm surprised every now and then as I use Ubuntu more and more. The things that it can do with no money, couple with a bit of reading, compare to MS OS + software(includes 3rd party)'s (high) cost with less reading. I went for the former.

FYI, Ubuntu can play most of MS OS's games with a MS OS emulator(need to tweak a bit here and there, depending on the game).
eh why are you clicking on bookmarks? Just do ctr+l to go to address bar and start typing, your bookmarks have higher priority then hit enter. Ctr+k brings you to the nifty google searchbox. Middle mouse opens ANY links in new tab. You need to learn to set up quick search too! Firefox increase productivity!
I know about the address-bar-bookmarks thing. It's just that I have a routine list of sites to visit everyday and I can't remember them all. So I still need my bookmark list/panel.

But all in all, it's a trade-up from IE. No longer need to worry about browser hanging. Also, I realised that the differences in my blog layout is actually due to IE not implementing/interpreting the HTML/CSS codes correctly.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS