Friday, October 03, 2008  

[Bits of me...]

I haven't been sleeping enough for the past two weeks. Mainly because I stayed up way too late to read Bret Hart's book. It wasn't all that interesting in the beginning when he described his Stampede days because for the most part, I didn't know the people he mentioned. Things got a lot more interesting when he started talking about the WWF. Last night I got through the part about Owen's death and stopped just before he gets his head kicked in by Goldberg.

I'll say this about Bret Hart - he believes too much in his own publicity. And whatever he says in his book, I'm sure there are two sides to every coin. My childhood hero was, in some ways, not really a hero.




When I bought my Nokia 6500s in April, I was pretty pleased. I've managed to find a phone, camera, organiser, MP3/video player all in one package. I'd rather not have to bring along a bag or pouch of some sort when I go out, so having a device that could do it all is important to me.

Then as it turns out, my workplace doesn't allow camera phones. The bastards. After much consideration, I've decided to shell out for a PMP (personal media player, not a misspelled PIMP). I bought the Creative Zen X-fi on Wednesday. I've moved my MP3/videos from my phone to the Zen. So now I could bring my MP3/videos to work with me, even if I couldn't bring my camera phone.

I'm considering whether or not to get bluetooth earphones for the Zen. There aren't a lot of choices. I'm looking at Creative's SE2300. At $169, it's an expensive pair of earphones (I'm the type who never buys earphones and just use the supplied ones). But not having to tangle with wires on the bus can be a great persuader...




Work-wise, I'm moving. Probably. I can't remember what my colleague told me. He either said that the chances were very high, or that it's just a matter of time. I think my brain's fried from all the caffeine I take during the day. 10 minutes after the conversation, I already could not remember what he said.

Basically, the organisation I work for has several office locations. I'm at the HQ. Most of the people are....Not at the HQ. Chances are, we are moving to be with most of the people. Which sucked. For many reasons.

1) Lifts take forever to arrive. You can spend 10-15 minutes just waiting for and being in the lift. A friend and I were once in the lift and there was music playing and he asked, "I wonder why we don't have music at [HQ]." I said, "Because at [HQ], it takes 30 seconds to get where you're going." Other people in the lift actually laughed.
2) I would need to take the LRT, transfer to MRT and then again to a bus in order to reach my new workplace. That sucked. Not only would my transport budget go north, but I wouldn't be able to nap in the mornings like I do currently on a direct, albeit taking-the-most-indirect-route-possible bus.
3) No privacy. I currently have a cubicle. The other place, open-concept. 'Enuff said.
4) Related to the above, since we're the "late-comers", all the choice locations are probably gone. I can just picture myself sitting next to the toilet/pantry, near the photocopy machine (with all the microscopic particles it spits out, cancer is probably guaranteed), or near the front door and every lost soul that wanders in would ask me for directions.
5) Limited car-park spots. Doesn't matter now, but it might in the future...
6) Leaving my current colleagues. Although our work doesn't overlap so it's not like I would need to adjust to working with new people (my entire team's moving, so work-wise, I would interact with the same people...by the way, it's a 3-person team), I would miss having them around and going for lunch with them.
7) The toilets at the HQ are very clean. It's almost like we have our own private toilets. At the other place, due to the high people-to-toilet ratio...Toilets are not as well maintained. I've toyed with the idea of taking a nap in the toilet cubicle after lunch....I sure as hell won't if I'm at where I'm moving to.

Of course, there are some positives about moving. Meeting new people could be a good or a bad thing. It's hard to say. Also....There's this other thing....

Imagine if you were a kid and someone placed something you really want - a piece of candy, a toy, whatever - near you and told you that you can't have it. That's really gonna suck. I'm in a similar situation right now (the adult version, of course) and I guess it would be good to not be around something I cannot have.

But truth be told, that's not a strong enough reason for me to want to move. My colleague was originally from there...And he's not looking forward to going back neither.

Aragh.

^^^ by Locksley @ 8:32 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS