Monday, June 23, 2008  

[Shit flows downhill...]

...and guess what? I'm at the bottom of the hill.

Some shitty happened at work today. P gave me a task and didn't provide very detailed instructions. That's his style. It was similar to something he asked me to do a while back, so I took the cue from that and did it in a similar fashion.

Along came D. He's our superior. Apparently, D gave the task to P and P gave the task to me. Shit flowing downhill. Anyway, he wanted it done another way and I basically got chewed out in front of everyone.

You see, if you're chewed out in someone's office with the door closed, your colleagues probably won't hear much of it, if at all. At most, they have some idea what's going on but they won't know the specific details. When you're chewed out in your cubicle, everyone knows about it.

It was pretty fucked up if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned, it really wasn't my fault because the requirements were not communicated properly to me. And don't tell me I should have asked. Sometimes, you know you don't know but yet you don't know what to ask. It's like Meno's you-can't-learn theory. You can't learn about what you already know; and if you don't know, you wouldn't ask about it and won't learn about it. Hence, learning is not possible.

I wouldn't say that it was P's fault neither, but it would have been nice if he said something while it was going on since he was right there.

When asked to summarise several pieces of news/updates into one PowerPoint slide each per news/update article, what would you do? Try to squeeze all the important points into the slides, no? What would you do if P told you (at lunch) that there were still too many points? Remove some of the information, no? What would you do if D chewed you out for not including enough information and not anticipating the questions of the audience (P didn't tell you who the audience were)? Expect P to say something, no? Well, he didn't.

On the whole, it wasn't a big deal. At least, I didn't think it was a big deal. Shit happens. I'm still new. But it must have sounded pretty bad to everyone else, because one of my other colleagues actually came over to talk to me about something else all of a sudden. Something we discussed at lunch and something totally irrelevant at that point in time. And later when I spoke to D again, I could tell he was doing damage control. And when he and P left for home, both said good-bye to me. We don't say good-bye when we go home. That's not the culture there.

What's done is done.

Tomorrow's another day.




I no longer bring my work laptop home everyday. Don't see the point. I used to do so because I wanted to sync my work calendar (in the laptop) with my personal calendar (in my phone which I could not use at work). Now I'm just going to pay more attention and store those new appointments and whatnot in my temp phone and transfer them over at home later. It's not like I have time to do work at home on weekdays anyway. I might bring it back home over the weekend, just so I could make sure my two calendars are properly synchronised (via manual comparison). I don't know, I haven't decided.

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:17 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS