Saturday, June 28, 2008  

[Mixed feelings...]

I picked up my graduation gown today. To be honest, it looked butt-ugly. I thought that I looked like an escaped mental patient, and wearing the mortar-board didn't help. Why do they call it a "mortar-board" anyway? Does it keep you safe if you're under attack by mortar?

And I didn't care for the way it was handled. Some people chose to buy their graduation gown. No offense to anyone who does so, but I don't get it. Why buy the gown? You're never going to use it ever again, and it's rather huge and takes up a lot of space in the wardrobe. If you have a sibling in the same faculty and you both wear the same size, then yes, it makes more sense to buy (cheaper than renting twice). But even so, where the hell would you keep it?

But I digress. The folks who bought theirs were directed to a counter to pick up their gowns, all pressed and ready and whatever. Those of us who chose to rent? They had all the gowns and mortar-boards on display and you just picked whichever one fitted you. It feels like shopping in the bargain bin. And the gowns...Smelled funky. And not the good kind of funky. The WTF kind of funky.




There were a lot of other things going on in the MPSH other than the collection of the graduation gowns. NUS really wants to keep in contact with us. The Alumni Association was working overtime. Lots of things going on, I couldn't even keep track. There was this society we could join, for $2,000 a year. Yeah right. Usual price $10,000 a year. Not kidding. That's insane. I wonder who would drink the Kool-aid.

What I thought was interesting was how, among the stuff we got, were credit card applications. I was never going to sign up for them. I'm perfectly happy with my debit cards and credit cards are just a bad idea to begin with since they are trying to get you to spend the money you do not have.

I never truly understood how people ended up a ton of credit card debts until today. I read the application forms briefly and I believe the interest rate is 24%. That's like...Loan-shark levels? Insane. And they allow you to spend up to two times your monthly pay. That's very attractive...And a very good way to fall into debt.




I had mixed feelings today while collecting the graduation gowns. In the past, I would be completely on top of things and would look through everything thoroughly. Now, all I want to know are the essential things and then to get the hell out of there. I don't know how to put it into words, but the way I handle things and look at life has changed. Not sure if it's good or bad.




I'll be away for in-camp training next week. So, no updates. Actually, it was a busy day today. I picked up my graduation gown in the morning and packed for ICT in the afternoon. I keep wondering whether I've forgotten anything. I nearly forgot my shaver and toothbrush last year. I almost forgot underwear this year. And there's always the dilemma of whether or not to bring an additional pair of boots.

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:00 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS