Sunday, April 20, 2008  

[Random stuff...]

I've been thinking of getting a new phone for the longest time. Yesterday, I finally got the phone I've been eyeing for a while - Nokia 6500 slide.

It's not a new phone. In fact, it's been on the market for a while. I usually never buy phones shortly after they are released. I prefer to wait a bit for the price to fall and for stable firmware to be released. At $98 (roadshow offer) and a 4GB microSDHC card for $49, I paid a total of $147 for the phone.

All things being equal, I'll always take a clam-shell over a slider or candy-bar. But the truth is, it seems that no clam-shell on the market can give me what I'm looking for in a phone. I picked the 6500 slide because of the sleek stainless steel exterior (my second phone with a stainless steel exterior) and because of the way the calendar function (which is very important to me) is designed. Ironically, although the screen is the same size as my previous phone, I now see less on my screen due to the way the people at Nokia tweaked the Series-40 platform.

On the whole, it's an improvement over my previous phone in most aspects. The 6500 slide has a well-documented problem of not being to detect the memory card due to rather piss-poor design (compared to the rest of phone) with regards to how it dealt with the memory card. But I haven't had any problems so far, and if I do, I'm sure I could fix it myself (I came across a DIY fix while researching the phone, basically, there's a small piece of metal on the back cover that is supposed to push down on the memory card, lest it loses contact). This creates a dilemma for me cause I usually put my phone in this little pouch I secure to my arm when I go jogging. I'm not sure if the constant jiggling and impact would cause problems.

There is, however, one irritating problem. It seems that with the memory card I bought, I cannot turn the phone on properly. It would start, reach the active standby screen and shut down. Repeatedly. If I took out the memory card, it would be fine. If I turned it off then and inserted the memory card, it would be able to boot up the first time. I just couldn't turn it off again, because otherwise it would not start up again unless I "reset" the memory card by taking it out.

I normally turn my phone off at night when I go to bed. Guess I should just leave it on now. And for those of you thinking of messaging or calling me in the dead of the night with reminders to visit the bathroom (you either know this prank or you don't), I'm going to leave the phone in silent mode.

EDIT: Found a new bug. Say the phone is at Profile A. I went through all the profiles' settings without switching to another profile. When I'm done, I'm still using Profile A, but when an SMS comes in, Profile B's SMS tone rings instead. I'm not sure if the same thing happens to ring-tones, both Profiles A and B are using the same ring-tone and I'm too lazy to try it out. If I ever go through the profiles' settings, I would need to re-activate my current profile for everything to work the way it should. I don't get it. Series-40 isn't a new platform. Why are there so many bugs?

EDIT: One more bug. Sometimes, the backlight of the phone will stay on and not dim nor go off. It can be easily rectified, not a big deal. But still, yet another bug.




If I don't get enough sleep over a few days, I tend to get pretty bad headaches. I've had some sleepless nights in the past week, waiting for the call that never came. It came in the end, on Friday. So...I guess I could get a good night's sleep? Wrong. It rained cats and dogs at 3am in the morning and the thunder and lightning kept me from falling asleep for about an hour.

And when I finally did fall asleep, I woke up again a little later with the most insane thoughts (at that time of the night). Not to go into the details, but with the call that finally came, my liquid assets would soon be flowing again. This is a rather bad trait, but I tend to spend money I haven't gotten yet. And it suddenly occurred to me that I could finally get the phone I wanted (as above). It was good time (?) to think about that too, I suppose, since prices of phones are usually slashed on Saturdays. So never buy a phone from Wednesday to Friday because chances are, a lower price would be offered on Saturday. For those of you who do the shopping, the same applies for supermarkets on Thursdays (that's the day their new weekly offers are announced).




After 40+ applications and 5 interviews later, I've gotten a job offer at last. I'll probably take it. I have three "tiers" when it comes to jobs. Jobs I really want, jobs I'm not 100% interested in but could do, and jobs I definitely didn't want to do. This one seems to be in the second category, but we'll have to wait and see. The pay's pretty good as well.

Hopefully this job would open up more opportunities for me, in more ways than one.

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:15 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS