Sunday, March 30, 2008  

[Of birds and fish...]

My (maternal) cousin got married last night. It was a hectic day for the family, because it was the same day as the 1-year anniversary of my (paternal) grandmother's passing.

Anyway, the wedding dinner was held in this posh hotel which name escapes me at the moment. For some reason, many hotels (and even office buildings) like to give their rooms names these days. I've seen various naming schemes, from continents to country names to celebrity names. This hotel decided to use the name of birds.


If you don't get why this is funny (in the local context), I can't help you. God-speed.


When I came home, I found a cherry barb on my computer table. Fishes jump out of my aquarium once in a while. Usually, it's when they are sick or when there's something wrong with the water parameters. I don't know what's wrong with this one...It was pretty dried out by the time I saw it. I couldn't pick it up either, it was stuck to the table. Scraping it off left behind some...fish stuff on my table. Ew.




Qing Ming's coming. On my father's side, they have to visit a number of graves every year. Four to be exact, five from next year onwards. Traditionally, I do not go along on these excursions because I usually have a ton of work to do on weekends due to school. Now that I'm done with school, I went along for the "full tour" today.

I'll say this...We say that we "扫墓" during Qing Ming, literally translated, it means to "sweep the graves". Truth is, if your relatives are buried at the major cemeteries, there really isn't much to "sweep". We visited a total of three graves today in the CCK/LCK area and all of them were very well maintained by the workers there.

The last grave on our list was located at an old cemetery off Adam Road. Now that is "扫墓" for real. The graves there were all at least 60 years old. And it's not like the cemeteries at LCK where everything is laid out neatly. Graves are all over the place, and the place is a hilly area. I can't imagine how they got some of the coffins (coffins at that time were huge and insanely heavy) up some of those steep hills.

It was easy to see which graves still had visitors and which did not. Those that had were very much visible. Those that did not were covered with growth. We were there for my grandfather's brother's grave and I was standing about a metre away from the grave and I did not even realise that I was actually standing on a grave until a while later because there was just so much growth.

My uncles visit the grave once a year and they brought along sickles (that's right, sickles) to clear the growth on the grave. It was like outfield, except that I was wearing Teva sandals instead of Goretex army boots. And it was raining. All we needed was combat rations and the experience would be complete.

^^^ by Locksley @ 8:16 PM. 4 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

it was pouring like shit... no joke
Luckily, the rain at Adam Road there wasn't too heavy and stopped very quickly. It started on our way there actually. I was in the back of the pick-up truck with my cousins with umbrellas and we look like construction workers.
it was at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel.

i still salivate thinking of the crispy salty roasted chicken..
just popping by..
wah.. ur cherry barb kamizake
[<---Back to Main]
RSS