Sunday, March 09, 2008  

[Giant-killing night...]

Last night was a disappointment, football-wise.

10 minutes into the Man United-Portsmouth match, I said to my Dad that it wasn't a question of whether United won or loss, but how many goals would they score.

Famous last words.

I think one of the turning points was when the referee denied United a penalty early on in the first half when Ronaldo was brought down. I'm no fan of Andy Gray's, but I agreed with him this time...It was a clear-cut penalty. Not given. Sheesh....

To be fair to Portsmouth, they defended well. They took everything United threw at them. When they broke free and counter-attacked with two players (I didn't know who they were) and when I saw that the two United players tracking them were, of all people, Rooney and Anderson, I knew that the shit was about to hit the fan. Rooney and Anderson made the mistake of tracking the same player, leaving the other unmarked. When the unmarked player got the ball, Kuszczak had to come out and the rest was history.





Sir Alex Ferguson, as well as the media, as said that this was possibly the best United side ever. I beg to differ. The current United squad plays well and good when things are going well. When things are not, all of them basically goes apeshit and knocks the ball to Rooney and Ronaldo as much as they could in hopes of them pulling off some sort of magic. Their passing goes to hell and they start playing like semi-professionals.

United squads of the past came from behind many times to draw level or even win the match. How often has this happened in recent memory? Not that many times. In the 98/99 treble winning season, they came back from the brink of defeat to win on several occasions. Against Liverpool in the FA Cup, against Arsenal in the last-ever FA Cup semi-final replay where Ryan Giggs scored that famous goal after an amazing run. Come-from-behind victories against Juventus and Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

I couldn't find a single, complete video of the 98/99 season highlights, but I did find this of United's classic comebacks which includes the Liverpool, Juventus and Bayern Munich matches:



And while searching, I found this hilarious video of Rudd van Nistelrooy:






I've been having upper back/neck/shoulder pains for about a week. I started feeling the pain after I laid in bed in an awkward position. The thing is, I've laid in the same position before in the past with no problems. Not sure what went wrong this time.

Ouch.

^^^ by Locksley @ 1:21 PM. 3 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

old age's creeping up on you...
This season's FA CUP is magical...lol
The big four are all out, what are the odds?
[<---Back to Main]
RSS