Saturday, February 02, 2008  

[Uncertainty...]

I'm starting to panic. Just a little bit. Why? Because I thought I'd be working by now.

I look through the ads online everyday, as well as the recruit section in the papers on Saturdays. I can't even find one online ad to respond to a day. I'm either not qualified or not interested. When I was studying, the topic once came up about the material we were studying (in my major) and a joke was made that we were being trained to be middle to upper management without really being trained for entry-positions. It was funny then. Not so funny now.

My current plan is to keep going through the online ads every day and the print ads every Saturday. If that doesn't work, there's a career fair in NUS on the 21st and 22nd. I think the chances of finding a job there is much higher, seeing how they should be expecting fresh graduates. So I don't need to worry too much about not being qualified, just a matter of whether or not am I interested in the job. I think I'd have a slight advantage over the others as well, seeing how most of the people there should still be in their final semester while I have already graduated and can start work immediately.

I'm also considering a job away from the IT industry. I already have very little interest in the technical aspects of IT, so this might be something worth considering. It's not unheard of, for people with academic backgrounds in IT to end up doing something else.

I'm actually somewhat interested in this particular job...It's a Government job and the starting pay is fantastic. It seems like a job I could do well, and sounds interesting enough (on paper, anyway). What I didn't like about it was that there are three rotating shifts and you have to wear a uniform at work. And I'm not sure about the career advancement prospects of that job. It should be good, but I'm not sure. Not to mention if I apply for and get that job, I'd be effectively ending my association with IT. Although I seem to have lost interest in IT, I'm not sure if I should drop it completely. Like YQ said, it's a good skill, and we should try to hang on to it.

If only this was a game. I would save right here and try one path, and reload the game if things didn't work out.

What to do, what to do?

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:54 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS