Monday, December 31, 2007  

[Annoyed...]

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but there's a problem with my computer. I couldn't restart the damn thing. If I did so, it would hang before POST, before you see the memory test and the IDE devices. However, fresh boot-ups are fine. I just couldn't restart. I was kinda pissed because it happened during the busy end of the previous semester and my system was only 15 months old.

I decided to stick it out. I didn't try to isolate the problem or anything, I just kept on using the system. After all, how often do you need to restart the computer? WinXP's pretty stable, as far as I'm concerned.

I was gaming on Saturday when my monitor went blank, and a few seconds later, my rig died. It would not boot up at all now. When I tried turning it on, the DVD-ROM lights would keep flashing...It's like someone was supplying power, cutting it off, supplying it again, etc.

I didn't know for sure what was causing the problem. It could be a number of things...The PSU, the CPU/MB, or maybe even the display card. Since I didn't have any spare parts lying around, I could not troubleshoot the problem. I ended up doing a partial upgrade and bought some new parts just so I could find out what's wrong.

I was lucky to isolate the problem on my first try with the new parts. It was the display card.

But now I have a new problem. I've assembled everything together, but while installing WinXP, it would hang whenever it got to the blue "Welcome" screen just before the desktop loads. It's a total hang, with mouse and keyboard both not responding. No hard disk activity neither. I'm so pissed.

I've just performed a BIOS update. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Actually, I suspect it's a hardware conflict with my new display card. I hope not, though. Because I have nothing to test this theory with.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:16 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS