Sunday, October 14, 2007  

[Sept 24, 2006]

It just occurred to me that I've been using my current rig for more than a year. Whenever I install Windows, either on a fresh system or after formatting, I use that day's date as part of the computer's name so I can know how long it's been.

I haven't formatted my current rig since the day I bought and set it up, which was on September 24th last year. I think that's a pretty amazing statistic. I remember when I was on Windows 98....I actually had to format it every 6 to 8 months, just to keep things in order. Windows XP is really a lot more stable (I have never gotten a blue screen on XP). With careful housekeeping, I don't think it requires formatting often. There are probably some orphaned files lying around on my hard disk (left behind after uninstalling software I didn't want to keep), but that's quite minimal.

Hopefully, I won't need to format it anytime in the near future. When I was on Windows 98, I got so familiar with the process that I could finish the entire process in about 5 hours (formatting, reinstalling the OS, drivers and programs I need). On Windows XP, it would take me roughly 2 days to get everything done. But that's because I use more programs now and I'm really quite lazy and couldn't sit still for hours installing programs on my rig.

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:39 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS