Wednesday, August 22, 2007  

[Some people shouldn't talk...]

I don't understand why is it so hard to get a routine matter done.

All I wanted was a form for me to fill in and claim from NUS the money I needed to pay the respondents who took my HYP survey. Sounds simple, but wait, there's no such form.

My supervisor wasn't much help. He told me to "get the form from the admin". If you ask me, that's the same as not saying anything. He did mention asking a fellow student who had already taken it.

Problem was, the other student took it before SoC moved to Law. So his directions now were not very useful. The place he told me to get the form from sounded like the Undergrad office but as it turns out, it wasn't.

At the Undergrad office, no one knew what I was talking about. And it was lunchtime so there wasn't many people around. The Malay lady that was in the cubicle behind the counter helped as best as she could and she was probably the only helpful person in the office. I think that the course manager should never be allowed to speak with anyone. She may be helpful when you email her, but when she opens her mouth, all the "positive points" she's built up before gets erased immediately.

When I finally figured out where I should go to and who I should ask, I called her before going down to make sure there's no cock-up this time. This person was very impatient on the phone but much nicer in person. Finally. All this, just for one set of forms.

Why was it so difficult to get something like this done? Most students who are doing their IS/EC HYPs would need to do this. We need to pay our survey respondents and experiment participants. How can the people at the Undergrad office not know what I was talking about? The course manager, no less.

But the main reason, I feel, was because strictly speaking, SoC did not have the policy of paying for a student's HYP. The form I got and filled out was a salary claim form for part-time teaching. This was why the form "didn't have a name" and no one seems to know what I was talking about.

Still, I think it's horse-shit.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:04 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS