Sunday, August 12, 2007  

[IVLE...Or the lack of it...]

I've never been particularly impressed with the IT-related services provided by NUS. I can never understand why they felt it was necessary to have the whole CORS site running on SSL, or why every connection made from home to SoC's servers requires tunneling through VPN, or why, of all places, it is the hardest to get a wireless connection in SoC.

And now, we can add IVLE to the list.

They started revamping IVLE a while back, I believe it was at the end of last semester. Anyway, lectures begin tomorrow and some parts of it are still not functional. My biggest grievances:
  1. The Communities function is gone. What we are greeted with is a long and mindless essay that says nothing, really. You need to read all of it to find out that the Communities function is still under development.
  2. The powers that be decided that students needed a "mobile blog" or "mobile community" or whatever. I didn't care to remember the name. I think students now can post materials via handphone/SMS. And guess what? I don't think it's free. Instead of working on what students need (Communities for project-related work), they decided to work on something no one will use. And decided to charge students for it if they actually did use it.
  3. The "What's new?" feature is gone. In the past, clicking on that will tell you what has been changed or updated in the different sections of the modules that you are taking, so that students did not have to click and check every section. That's gone.
  4. Now it takes an additional click to open up the sections of a module on the main site. In the past, every section was listed out and one click was all it took to access it. Now we have to manually "open" each module before we had access to its sections.
I give the new IVLE 0/10. I'm serious. It's so bad, if I'm in charge, I would have fired the developers.

PS: If the Communities and What's new? function is available but instead buried somewhere, please let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: One more thing the new IVLE lacks - letting you know if you have already downloaded a file. In the old IVLE, you can see if you've already downloaded a file. It can be hard to keep track after a while.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:31 AM. 3 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

The "My Friends" feature don't work as well.

Not sure about the other features..

I actually went for an interview about 1 year back with regards to development of ivle8 (The coy is ClickNlearn @ Science park, iirc), of course I didn't get the job hehe
sorry it's AskNLearn :p
I forgot about the My Friends feature. I don't use it much. The last time I used it, the messages I sent to my friend who was online was only received the next time he came to IVLE.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS