Saturday, August 11, 2007  

[Allergic to alcohol...]

I've never been much of a drinker. I have drank in the past without any problems. Beer and watered-down vodka, mostly. But I've never had enough to get a "buzz" or feel any different.

Recently I thought I'd try red wine. The alcohol content of red wine is much higher than beer or watered-down vodka. While I didn't get wasted or anything, I had enough to turn my face red and was able to sleep like a baby. That was nice...It lets me forget my troubles and fall asleep quickly.

Until the rashes came.

I didn't think much of it and had more red wine two nights ago. Yesterday the rashes got worse and tiny bubble-like blisters started appearing on my hands. One of my fingers was completely covered with them.

I went to see a doctor and was told that I should not have alcohol ever again. I'm allergic to alcohol. Most people with this allergy only get rashes. Getting the bubble blisters means it's fairly serious. He gave me some pills and told me to return today if it didn't get better so he could give me a jab.

I googled the topic and it seems that this was fairly common in Asians, which was weird because I don't recall any of my friends ever saying they have it. Maybe they were like me, having never drank enough for the allergy to manifest itself. It seems that 50% of all Asians are affected one way or another. We lack a certain genetic thingy that deals with alcohol (which is toxic in our body and has to be broken down). I only found out that I'm affected now because I've never consumed a large-enough quantity of alcohol in the past. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing how both my parents were allergic to alcohol as well (I only found out about my Dad's allergy yesterday).

Oh well. So now I have two allergies - shellfish and alcohol.

Running a bit of a temperature now. Not sure if I'm falling sick or it is because of the medicine working against the allergy. Either way, school starts on Monday and I can't afford to be down.




HYP's going to hell. I finally got my survey up and everything. Even paid for a SurveyMonkey account. But I can't find anyone to take my survey.

I'm looking for people with the experience of selling on eBay. I tried posting messages on local forums and the response was extremely poor. I tried messaging eBay members directly. Zero response. I'm not surprised, I'm basically spamming them.

I tried posting messages on eBay's community boards. Got my message posting privileges revoked for 10 days and moderators removed my messages. I've emailed them and asked what was the proper channel for what I'm doing. Yet to receive a reply. Did I mention I'm paying S$5 a piece for the first 100 respondents? No one's biting, still.

Time is running out.




School starts on Monday. Last semester, I had a lecture on Wednesday from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. I told myself to never take a module with lecture hours outside of the "regular timings" of 10am to 6pm again. It's tiring and I can't do much work during the day.

For some reason, I can only work on stuff at night. Or at least, I work better at night. Having lessons so late takes away the time I could use for working on whatever needs work (assignments, projects, etc). The ideal timetable is for me to have classes in the day and then I could work on stuff at night.

This semester, instead of having one late-night lesson, I have two. Wednesdays from 6pm to 9pm and Fridays from 7pm to 10pm. Yes, that's right, 10pm. At least the workload is supposed to be light, especially for the Wednesday one.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:22 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS