Thursday, July 12, 2007  

[Random stuff...]

Finally, there's some developments on the HYP-front. My supervisor liked some of my ideas, and we're moving on to the next stage (actually we have sort-of cleared the next stage and are on our way to the one after that). Although I sometimes wonder if my supervisor really liked my ideas or just picked the lesser of two evils and moved on due to the lack of time.

I still don't feel confident, HYP-wise. I have a pretty good understanding of how and what a research paper looks like but there are still many areas I have not yet considered, evident when I couldn't answer my supervisor's questions.




The IPTV paper I'm working on has basically reached a stand-still. When my professor told us that several people in the past has dropped out of trying to get a paper published with him, I asked why because from what he said, it seemed like a pretty simple task. Now I know better.

There are some reasons for it which I don't think I should reveal. What I can say is that trying to edit the same paper over and over takes a toil on you. It's come to the point where I couldn't read the paper anymore. I'm not sure how to say this...Those of you who's ever had to edit the same thing over and over would know what I mean.




I've been wearing glasses since I was 7, and contact lenses since I was 15. With my current (very high) prescription, my lenses (both contact and regular) are pretty expensive.

I placed a new order for contact lenses a few days ago. The pair I am currently using is about 15 months old and I was only supposed to use them for 12 months. Anyway, due to my sensitive eyes, I asked for extended wear lenses for higher comfort. It came to $380. Ouch.

I decided to make lenses for a new pair of glasses and the same shop quoted me Nikon lenses for $380 as well. I nearly fell out of my seat when I heard the quoted price. I decided to return to my previous optician for the lenses (for my glasses). On the whole, the offerings of my previous optician wasn't all that good. Their contact lenses offering was way cheaper ($220) but you get what you paid for - my eyes turn red after four to five hours. The optician there said that "extended wear lenses wouldn't make much of a difference, it depends on your eyes". That's BS because my $380 contacts were extremely comfortable and my eyes doesn't turn red unless I wear them for over 12 hours.

That said, the inferior optician would do just fine for making lenses for my glasses. No one can tell what lenses you're wearing anyway. I was quoted $180 for my lenses. Not Nikon, obviously, but who cares as long as I can see through them.

I go to the more expensive optician only for my contact lenses. If I'm putting something on my eyeball, I want the very best. To think I suffered for 9 years wearing crappy contacts from the inferior optician.

(Boy...I just realised how long, boring, and confusing the above was.)




I'm selling spectacle frames online, together with a friend. I spent most of the evening putting up listings on Yahoo! SG Auctions and on eBay Singapore. If you're thinking of getting a new pair of glasses, have a look-see. They're all S$38 each. Currently I've listed them only on auction sites meant for the local population. I'm going to try listing them on the main eBay site tomorrow. It's not easy, eBay can be quite confusing.

Listing on Yahoo! SG and eBay Singapore is free. Listing on the main eBay site is not. You have to pay at least three times. Once - to get something listed. Twice - a final listing fee when someone buys from you. Thrice - Paypal gets a cut whenever someone pays you. And possibly a fourth time if you withdraw less than S$200 from Paypal.

I'm still looking into it, but I really want to list them on the main eBay site, as that's where the traffic is.

(eBay Singapore takes a few hours before they index new listings. As of now, you can't see the frames on eBay Singapore yet. You can see all 34 designs on Yahoo! SG, plus my sister's wedges. All you can see on eBay Singapore are just my sister's wedges, which I listed last night.)

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:56 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS