Wednesday, February 14, 2007  

[Childhood trauma...]

Everyone of us has it. A traumatic childhood experience. Today, I saw a child experience his.

My lecture today starts at 6:30pm, and I don't have to be in school till 3pm. So I went for a swim. It's a weekday, and there were very little people about. There were a lot of kids though. Most of them were at the medium pool.

Then a swimming instructor brought his class to the competition pool. The "deep" pool, if you will. I believe the kids in his class belonged to some before/after-school care service. The kids certainly wasn't from the same primary school or anything, since there were only like 15 of them. Two "teachers" were in charge of the kids. The swimming instructor was with the SSC and probably has nothing to do with the before/after-school care service except to teach the kids swimming once a week.

One of the kids was terrified of the water. The depth of the competition pool probably has something to do with it. He was crying bloody murder, and refused to get anywhere near the pool.

Guess what the "teachers" did?

One of them shouted at him to stop crying. "I said STOP!", at the top of her lungs. Repeatedly. The other threatened to "throw you in the pool if you don't stop". Honestly, is this the best thing to say to a kid with a fear of water? Will this help him overcome his fear? He's probably going to be traumatised for life over this episode.

They finally managed to push him into the water. He climbed onto the swimming instructor's back and hanged on for dear life, crying the entire time. The swimming instructor, to his credit, didn't force him to do anything.

I turned my attention away for a while. When I saw them again, the kid was no longer in the pool. He was on the deck, trying to get away. The two "teachers" continued to throw all sorts of threats at him, some of which I couldn't remember. Then, another kid climbed out of the pool and wanted to go to the bathroom. One of the "teachers" said no, he was pretending and made him re-join the class. He was holding his groin. Wasn't pretty. How would she know whether he really had to go or not?

These people are not fit to be in the early-childhood industry. Parents entrust them with their children, and they treat them like cattle. I hope there's a special place in hell reserved for people like them.

On my way home, I ran into a reporter interviewing someone. I took a video of it as I walked past. Notice the guy on the left. I never understand why people cover their faces or run away to avoid being on TV. What are you afraid of? Are you wanted or something?

^^^ by Locksley @ 1:17 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS