Monday, January 01, 2007  

[A new toy for the new year?]

The new year is upon us. I hope the new year would be better for me than the last, as well as for everyone else.

For the longest time, I've been thinking of getting something to replace my phone, MP3 player and old-fashioned paper organiser. I was thinking of getting a PPC like O2's Atom or Atom Exec, but was put off by the high price. Not to mention that PPCs all seem to have an issue with batteries, having to charge them everyday. You often hear complaints about the call quality as well as the MP3 playback issues.


I recently had a chance to fiddle with Nokia's 6280. Several websites I've read said it was based on the Series 40 platform. If so, bravo to Nokia. It was a huge improvement over their previous Series 40 OS, and the new Active Stand-by display was cool. When activated, the display of the phone would be similar to what you see on a Windows Mobile device (like the Atom). Their calendar function has also improved.


At the same time, I went and read some reviews of the 6131. From what I gathered, the 6131 is very similar (a lousier camera is all) in terms of usage and functions as the 6280, and is also running on the same Series 40 OS. I actually prefer a clam-shell phone over a candy-bar or a slider phone. But the screen size of the 6280 is so much bigger...


I'm torn. I'd probably get a new phone this year to replace my 6170 (which is also a clam-shell and has served me well). The new phone must also come with MP3 playback (which means it has to accept a memory card of some sort) as well as a decent calendar function. I'm thinking of either buying a second-hand 6280 or 6131 now, or waiting till the end of April when I can upgrade my phone at M1. Maybe by then, there would be newer models that I fancy? I don't know...

Anyone got a magic 8-ball?

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:14 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS