Wednesday, December 13, 2006  

[Stabbing in broad daylight...]

Keith pointed me to this video on YouTube. It's quite graphic, so be forewarned.



This sort of thing doesn't happen often in Singapore. According to the person who uploaded the video, both the stabber and the victim were from PRC. Basically, it's your classic boy-meets-girl, girl-ignores-boy, boy-stabs-girl scenario.

When you import foreign "talent" (using the word very loosely here), you import the problems that come with them as well.

Added on Saturday, December 16th, 1:22AM:
This entry of mine received a lot more attention than usual because it was linked from Tomorrow.sg. I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and what I meant has been misunderstood. I shall try to clarify what I meant and what my original intentions were. The points I wish to address can be classified into two main parts. The content of the blog post, specifically the last paragraph/sentence, as well as the contents of the video itself.

The blog post
It seems that many people misunderstood and took offense to what I said about the importing of foreign talent as well as the problems that came with it. I meant it in the context of what happened - the man stabbing the lady in public. There was certainly a problem with the man in question for him to do what he did. At no time did I mean to imply that all foreigners (PRC or otherwise) bring crime or social unrest with them as they enter Singapore. Crimes are committed by all sorts of people, regardless of nationality. I'm still not entirely sure why anyone made a link from what I wrote to xenophobia, but I re-state my original intention was only to reference what happened in the video. This entry has everything to do about what happened, and nothing to do about race or nationality.

The video
It has been brought to my attention that under the Film Act, it is an offense to distribute any video deemed to be offensive.

First of all, I would like to state for the record that the video itself was not originally uploaded by myself. It was uploaded by someone I don't know onto Youtube, and a friend of mine pointed it out to me. The purpose of me linking to it was certainly not to offend anyone. My intention was to let people know that something like this has, and can, happen in Singapore. Low crime doesn't mean no crime, remember? The video was shot from a distance away and not close up. Most of it was not very clear. Admittedly, the bloodstains were clearly captured on the video.

Secondly, should this video be deemed by the relevant authorities to be offensive, or should this video be police evidence of some kind (I was told that the man in the video was jailed for 8 months), I can be reached at i.am.locksley@gmail.com, and I will remove the video at once without hesitation. As I said earlier, my intention in linking the video from Youtube was to inform people about the seriousness (who would expect something like this to happen in Singapore?) of the incident (I later learnt that it was reported in the newspapers, but the original report skipped my eye), and not to challenge the law in any way. I understand that there isn't really a clear definition for what is deemed to be offensive under the Films Act. My personal opinion is that the video, while graphic, is not as offensive as a lot of other materials available on the Internet today.

Lastly, I would not be responding to the comments made before this addition, because I think I have clarified my stand. In any case, I did not think it would be worth my time to respond to remarks made by individuals who chose to use vulgarities to get their point across. This entry was meant to highlight what happened, and not to target anyone based on race or nationality. If the visitors to this blog continue to make out the entry to be one based on race/nationality, I may have to think about deleting comments.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:38 AM. 16 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

I did send you throughmsn last night. but doubt you received since I was sure you would put it here. I sent a few friends through msn while they were offline but they didn't receive it.

Total madness right? PRC FT!! I think the gahmen will be damn happy if FTs start stabbing S'poreans. Get rid of their problem for them..
How does this video indicate that it happened in Singapore?
See the Comfort Taxis moving along the street? You can't find them outside Singapore
Another thing that indicates this happened in Sg? The fact that only the 2 men there stopped to help but once the stabbing was done, a crowd started to gather... . TYPICAL!!
irving, I'm actually quite happy that two men actually stopped to help, fighting off an armed man, and then later holding him so he can't get away. In Melbourne, a couple was beaten up and then robbed at a popular beach, while over 30 people watched doing nothing just last week.
this was actually reported in the papers a few weeks back. Not tyhe video, but the incident. Apparently, the woman is married or something so she started to avoid the guy. Anyway, she spent most of her money on treatment, and she said that even eating rice now is a luxury. She is down to a few hundred dollars and is going back to PRC soon.
and how the fuck does this have anything to do with foreign talent?!?!?

we singaporeans have been known to chop up bodies in singapore and also bludgeon people to death in australia... so keep you xenophobic streak up your ass where it belongs.
woah. but this kind of video allowed on youtube meh?
Foreign talent!??

I dunno if you wanna be funny here, but you're not. This is tragedy on display, and your only response is this fucking braindead and racist remark.

I'm amazed that no Singaporeans intervened.
european, from newspaper reports, the man who used the helmet is Singaporean. I'm pretty sure the man who restrained the PRC is Singaporean too.

Let me post a question to you. If in a situation like this, and you are unarmed, would you for the sake of thinking that you are more civic minded than the people here, disregard your own safety and stop the stabbing?

A lot of people seem to whine and whine about how no one helped, clearly ignoring the 2 men who did. At the same time, imagining themselves as superheroes in their minds who would, at the snap of a finger, run in to stop what was going on.
Wow. A lady is being attacked and no one intervened? Now I feel sorry for Singapore. You guys got twisted sense of justice. You gave maid-murderers a slap in the wrist while you cane a teenager for vandalism. Weird.
well lucky to have a two men to help n stop them...but i wonder why the crowd just stand there..cant they do something to stop the man?..pity that lady...
Whenever something like this gets highlighted, all the closet superheros emerge. -rolls eyes-

Perhaps you should have viewed the complete video. People did intervene. I don't blame the people who did not. It would be insane to try to stop a guy with a knife (who's not afraid to use it) when you are without a weapon of your own.

Just curious, which maid-murderer got away with a slap on the wrist?
I should say whoever uploaded or shared this video shows he/she has no mercy!! Imaging if the victim is your sister, will U do this or not?

Feel shameful to see this kind of thing happened in Singapore!!
You know why people gather around after everything is settled..wan to get number to buy 4D...

ha ha ha ha
What does the phrase "foreign talent" got to do with what happened?
[<---Back to Main]
RSS