Sunday, October 15, 2006  

[No dial tone...]

I've been having problems with my ISP for the past week. Actually it's not really my ISP...It's complicated. I switched ISP in March, and on the whole, I'm very satisfied. I pay less, and enjoy faster speeds. It's all good.

Last Sunday, the phones in my house had no dial tone. It's a dead phone, basically. I asked my neighbours, and they were experiencing the same thing. However, if I were to call my home using my mobile phone, I wouldn't have known that there was anything wrong with my home phone because I got the connected tone and all. Of course, the home phone wasn't ringing. Since I'm using ADSL, this means my Internet connection was on the fritz as well.

I called customer service using my mobile phone. After explaining the situation, the lady on the line asked me to unplug all my phones, and plug them in one by one to isolate the problem. At that very moment, I knew I was talking to a technically-inept person. I said whatever I needed to say in order to get off the line with her. Then I waited. I figured that eventually, they'd get enough calls to know that this isn't a "problem with the subscriber's phone". Luckily, service was resumed in about 3 hours.

It happened again last night. I wasn't around, so my sister did the dance with the customer service officer. They finally sent someone down this morning. As it turned out, it was due to the lift upgrading works. The contractor did something bad to the phone lines by mistake.

I received 2 calls from the technicians, one of whom was clearly the supervisor. They were apologetic, and the supervisor was very disappointed with the service I got from the customer service officers (asking me to check my house phones when clearly the problem wasn't on my end). It was nice to be able to talk to technically-inclined people when things break down. I mean, it was very obvious that the customer service officers on the phone were just reading off a script or something and didn't really understand the situation. Being able to place a call through to the line probably didn't help....But still.

This telco I'm with has different branches for it's land line and it's ISP services. Their reputation on the local forums are pretty bad with regards to their tech support for their ISP branch. I guess the problem I had really was a problem with their land line branch, but overall, I'm satisfied with the service I received, mainly due to the technicians who clearly knew their stuff.

^^^ by Locksley @ 2:51 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS