Tuesday, July 11, 2006  

[Something lame...]

I did something lame today. *looks ashamed*

Those of you using MSN Messenger would know about the "what am I listening to" feature. It's supposed to work with WMP 9 and above (I think). Basically, when you listen to music on your WMP, the whole world can see what you're listening to.

I thought that was a pretty cool feature, but I couldn't enable it because:
  1. I'm using Winamp for my audio needs.
  2. I hate WMP.
  3. I'm still using WMP 6.4 for my video needs.
  4. I hate all newer versions of WMP.
  5. I didn't download any newer versions of WMP, save for the one that WinXP came with.
  6. Did I mention I hate WMP?
But it occurred to me today that there's probably a plug-in for Winamp that would enable the feature. So I did a search, found an excellent plug-in. No fuss, no config, no nothing.

There's just one problem.

Before you can enable the feature inside MSN, it'd check to see if you have version 9 (I think, couldn't remember) of WMP. If not, you're not allowed to enable the feature. Since I've never downloaded a newer version of WMP, that puts me out of the game.

I downloaded WMP 10, installed it (with no intention of using it) and enabled the feature in MSN. Fired up my Winamp, and it works.

That was the easy part.

Now I have to clean up the mess installing WMP 10 left behind. I had to re-assign my file type associations so that the multimedia files I want to be played in WMP 6.4 would be played in WMP 6.4. I spent a lot of time there, because I forgot about a quicker way. After that, I had to permanently disable a service used by WMP 10.

All that, just so I can display on MSN what I'm listening to.

This is beyond lame.

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:13 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS