Tuesday, July 04, 2006  

[My rig is dying...]

The computer I'm currently using is slightly more than 4-years old. I don't know about you, but I think that's a pretty long time to use the same computer. I put it together myself during my first book-out during my BMT. I still remember how tired I was, and how I cursed my old system for dying on me at the worst possible time.

The new system (4 years ago) served me well. I've put in some new stuff along the way...Like a new display card that allows me to watch movies on my TV, a DVD writer, and new hard disks. But the rest of the system remains unchanged.

A while back, I had a problem whereby my system would reboot itself without warning. It usually occurred in the first 15 minutes after it first booted up. That is to say, in theory, it could keep on rebooting with no end.

The problem went away, and I never thought more of it. Until now. It's back with a vengeance.

This morning, I spent 45 minutes watching my system reboot itself. I'm not kidding. It would reboot just as it's booting into Windows, usually just before the welcome screen. At one stage, it showed me the option to boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc etc. It didn't matter which option I picked, the system would reboot. After that, it told me my NTFS.sys was corrupted and it must be repaired using the installation CD.

I was pretty pissed.

I didn't really have any intentions of upgrading/changing my system, since it's really still serving me well. Another reason would be the lack of liquid assets right now. Not to mention the trouble I'd have to go through to set up the new system.

Luckily for me, it managed to finally boot into Windows proper. If it didn't reboot itself after...about 15 minutes, it'd be good to go. The chances of the problem re-occurring would be very slim. So I guess after I boot up my system every morning, I'm not going to reboot it at all throughout the day, lest the whole rebooting episode replays itself.

I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but I think it's one of the hardware components. At least that's what Microsoft seems to think, since that's the "solution" they tell me if I send them an error report.

^^^ by Locksley @ 7:24 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS