Sunday, July 09, 2006  

["Ki tang"]

Last night, I received the most alarming SMS from my sister ever.
"someone's getting possessed underneath the block!"
She was on her way home from a friend's gathering, and alarmed, I called her immediately to find out what was wrong. As it turns out, it wasn't directly under our block, but a few blocks away, on her way from the bus-stop back to our block. What she witnessed was what we call "ki tang". In short, they "invite" the spirit of a entity-god to "possess" them and they would ask questions (a lot of times, for lottery numbers). It was weird, as such events are usually not held in such a public place.

This reminded me of 2 incidents which happened to me when I was younger. Till this day, I can't explain what happened. The first tale goes like this...

When we were young, we were told not to point at the moon, or risk getting our ears "cut". I never knew the old wives' tale behind this caution. I did, however, point at the moon.

And as it would turn out, my ears did get "cut". A small cut appeared above one of my ears. The right one, if I remember correctly. It was a small cut, at the point where your glasses would sit on your ears. Back then, I was liable to believe anything, and it scared the shit out of me. Needless to say, I never pointed at the moon again. And my ear recovered. Slowly. Recently, on one of the local forums, I found out that my experience was not unique. Many others have encountered the same thing during their childhood.

The next one was a tad more chilling. It also happened when I was younger...I think I was probably 8 to 10-years old at the time. I was down with a fever which simply won't go away. My parents brought me to several doctors, but I never got better.

Eventually, my grandmother thought that maybe I've "offended" something. So my Dad brought me to this...I don't know what you call it. This person, just like the ki tang I mentioned above, would allow an entity-god to possess her and she'd play doctor to those whose illness can't be treated by normal means.

As it turns out, according to her, I offended some spirits by stepping on their offerings when I was out playing with my cousins. She gave me some paper charms to burn, put the ashes in water, and drink. It sounds insane, but I did get better after that.

My memories of the whole incident is hazy, but that's about what I can remember. I remember going to see the "witch-doctor" twice, but I can't remember exactly why.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:44 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS