Saturday, July 01, 2006  

[Apprehension...]

I'm not sure if this is normal, but I tend to be a bit of a worry-wart sometimes. I like some structure in my life. I don't like being caught off-guard. And I don't always like surprises.

A little while back, my friends were bidding for their honours year projects (HYP). HYPs are projects to be done in your final year in university, and from what I've been told, you usually do it alone. Being in the E-Commerce stream, I'm not as technically-inclined as I was when I was in polytechnic (relatively speaking...it's not as if I was on track to be an insane programmer/developer or anything), so I anticipated that there could be a bit of a problem when HYP comes around for me.

While my friends were bidding for their projects, I took a peek at the projects on offer. I wouldn't have any idea how to get started on most of them, especially the technical projects (no surprise there, since it really isn't my field...and this would severely limit my choices). There were projects on how to improve Bit-torrent, how to create more realistic MIDI files from similar WAV files, and the like. Even the non-technical, research-based projects looked difficult. Of the long list of projects on offer in the previous semester, I dare say I'm comfortable with just 3-4 of them.

I'll be bidding for my project this coming semester, unlike the majority who did it in the previous semester. This is due to me not matriculating with the main batch of students. The projects on offer at this time for the "irregular" folks are usually way lesser than normal, which further limit my choices.

Worrying about it not probably won't help at all. But I still can't help it. Will I crash and burn? HYP is an important module, with a weight of 12 credits (normal modules carry 4 credits). I can't afford to screw it up...I don't think my CAP could absorb the "impact" should I do badly. I'd probably need a lot of guidance in this area, and I must really hope and pray for a good supervisor. I'd probably also try to get my hands on my friends' past projects, to see what is expected of me.

Although to be fair, when I first entered polytechnic way back in 1999, I was also worried about my final year project. In the end, not only did I coast through it, I managed to get a very good grade for it. But I doubt history would repeat itself, seeing as the standards in university are very much higher than those in a polytechnic.

This is therapeutic. I feel a bit better after my ranting.

^^^ by Locksley @ 2:25 PM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

No worries! We're all there to support you morally even though we can't do shit to do any actual help!! =DDD
-nods nods-

Unless of course, it can be done in a group, then I certainly wun mind u waiting for me =P
[<---Back to Main]
RSS