Tuesday, June 06, 2006  

[Enough is enough...]

I'm pissed, cranky, and agitated. I'm a guy, so no, it's not PMS. My mind is racing at 100 kilometres per hour right now, hyped up with not enough sleep and too much caffeine. I hope the rest of my post makes sense.

Before I talk about what happened that resulted in my foul mood today, a little background information is in order.

My mother has been suffering from arthritis for a while now. She has it in the fingers on her left hand (if I remember correctly). She didn't want to seek treatment from a doctor/hospital, because it was "too expensive" and it might require an operation. I don't know much about the treatment for arthritis, so I have no idea if she had the right information. She sought treatment from traditional chinese medicine practitioners, acupuncture, etc. None of them worked, and I always chided her by saying that she'd have spent less if she just went to see a real doctor in the first place.

The machine that charges the chair/mat.
One day, someone told her about this physiotherapy and rehabilitation center, where you pay $2 an hour to sit on this chair with a mat that's "charged" with static electricity. My mother's easily influenced, and when told of the wonderful (and a tad out-of-the-world) effects of using the machine, she decided to try it out. Some of the "success stories" she brought back include a man whose hair started re-growing after using the machine (for a long time, not instantly). Yeah, according to her, static electricity can turn the clock back and fix hair loss.

The mat on a chair, connected to the machine.
That was just one of the dozens of amazing stories she was told by the folks at the center and she believed them all. I can't remember too many of the stories, except that it's supposed to cure diabetes as well. I guess after a while, I blocked them out because I simply do not believe in it. As far as I know, there's no scientific backing for the claims made by the people at the center.

To her credit, her fingers did get better. She could wiggle and extend them fully at last. Was it due to the effects of the machine? Or was it mind over matter? I don't know. Eventually, she bought one of those machines so that she didn't have to spend an hour after work everyday at the center. It cost a whopping $5,000+ I think.

That's where the fun began. For ages, she's been pestering all of us (especially my Dad, after his health scare during the CNY) to go to the center to try out the machine. Now we don't have any excuses not to try it, since we own one of the machines. My sister was open to it, but she was also a tad turned off by the claims. My Dad and I were both skeptics, but both my Dad and my sister tried it.

I was the only one who didn't give it to her nagging. One of the reasons was that with the amount of school work I have to cope with, I simply haven't the time to sit in a chair for one hour a day doing nothing. You're not supposed to handle electronic equipment when you're on the mat, and I do all my work in front of my computer. She kept nagging and nagging, and she even said that I'd probably die early because I didn't try the machine. That made me really pissed, and it took a lot of effort on my part not to get into a fight with her.

Eventually, my sister also acknowledged that it was insane to sit in that chair for one hour a day. Even she found it boring. So a new arrangement was made where my sister would sleep on the mat (the mat can be place on a bed as well) every night. My Dad suggested we alternate, and I finally gave it and tried it out.

I hated it.

It made my leg hair "dance" under the covers, and woke me up everything my arm or leg touched the vanity or my table (which was very close to my bed). I never got a good night's sleep with the machine. And last night was the last straw. For some reason, my foot couldn't stop hitting the vanity at the end of my bed, and I was kept awake all night by the vibrations. When I don't get my beauty sleep, I ALWAYS wake up in a very foul mood, and I'll be cranky for the rest of the day. I'm a very light sleeper, and the vibrations along my leg the whole night doesn't help matters any. My mother was insane enough to suggest that it was my fault for not wearing long pants when sleeping. I think the fault lies with the machine and physics, not me. To top it off, when I finally had enough and tried turning the machine off this morning at about 6am, I got a nasty shock cause I was fumbling about in the dark and my finger must have touched something grounded on my table (my table's made of wood, so touching it while on the machine is mostly okay).

That's it. Never again. Ever.

^^^ by Locksley @ 10:31 AM. 3 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

Wow... Well, mothers are mostly like that. I'm glad my mum no longer believes in such things. I agree it's all in the mind, esp in the older generations... :)
It's called Placebo Effect
I thought so too at first, but her hand/fingers really did get better. So I'm not sure what to believe now.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS