Tuesday, May 09, 2006  

[Oppression...]

This is really none of my business, per se, but it really ticks me off and I would like to comment about it.

I have this friend...She's 23 or 24, I can't remember. First off, I want to say that we don't exactly get along great. We had our differences when we worked together this past semester, and given a choice I probably won't want to work with her again (for the sake of my sanity).

During the semester, she asked me if there were any way she could bypass the router settings in her home, so that she could access sites her brother blocked. Yes, she's 24, and her older brother's preventing her from accessing websites. If she was 10 years younger, I'd understand. Her brother blocked her access to "gaming" sites (read: Neopets, among others...) so that she could "concentrate" on her studies during the semester.

I find the whole idea ridiculous, I mean she's an adult, for crying out loud. So did everyone else in our project group when she brought up the "bypassing the router" issue. I told her about anonymous proxies, how she could "access a website within another website". It worked for a while, until her brother told her that he'd block every single anonymous proxy site she used, as she used them.

Although I was pretty shocked that her brother treated her that way, I didn't think much else of it again. She did tell me before that her brother gets special treatment from her parents. Her sisters and herself have chores to do, while he didn't. From what I could tell, her parents still had the mentality that a woman's place is in the home.

Today she asked me about the anonymous proxies again. She told me that her brother's still blocking those sites. I asked her why, since the semester is over and it's the holidays. She told me her brother's reason now is that going to those sites invites viruses into their network. Okay, seriously, what the fuck? That statement is so wrong and so ignorant that I don't even know where to start ripping him up from.

Someone should tell the people in her family that this is the year 2006, not 1906.

She's 24 years old, not 14.

^^^ by Locksley @ 8:35 PM. 1 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

She's 24 yrs old
Maybe her mentality is 14 yrs old
[<---Back to Main]
RSS