Saturday, May 27, 2006  

[Do you remember....]

I took a screen capture of a Smackdown event a while back, and I forgot all about it. Here it is.


If anyone from PWT (no, not Pro-Wrestling Torch) drops by, I guess this would be a fitting/funny picture, eh?

On to other things. As you may know, Timor Leste has completed self-destructed and they've asked for international aid to restore order. Pictures of the Australian army appeared in today's papers, and they brought back a ton of memories from my army days. No, not because I was involved in some peacekeeping mission, but because they're using the same vehicle and weapons as we did.


The picture above shows the back view of the M113 APC, or IFV. Different people call it different names, and I really didn't bothered to find out which is the correct one. Maybe if Estan dropped by, he could enlighten us.


This picture shows one of the soldiers jumping down from the top of the vehicle. I've done it a million times, and every time I did it, I wonder if I'd blow my knee out. My knees were pretty weak during my time spent in the service. It might not look like much, but when you're laden down with a ton of gear, you can actually feel the impact/shock on your knees when you jump.


Now, doesn't this chap look cool? He's carrying the GPMG, one of my assigned weapons. He might look super cool there, with this huge gun and the Rambo-lookalike ammo, but in truth, cocking the weapon while standing up with the weapon in a sling would be a feat in itself. And it'd be impossible to fire his weapon, due to the lack of a forehand grip and an insane amount of recoil. Still, this is a pretty cool looking picture....It reminded me of what I did during the 28 toughest months of my life.

A couple of posts back, I mentioned that my exam results were coming out soon. I did pretty okay for the past semester, and my overall CAP has improved. I'm now back in the 2nd-upper category, although I'm at the very edge. Oh well...I guess my CAP would be hovering around the strong-2nd-lower-weak-2nd-upper point for the rest of my semesters.

More good news. NUS approved my application for financial aid. The amount I'm receiving...Let's just say that in my 24 years, I've never had this much money in my bank account. Don't get me wrong, we're not *poor* or anything. We live in a pretty decent flat, and there's always food on the table and money for the bills. We can even afford some luxuries. But the truth is, my Dad's turning 59 soon and has been out of a job for a very long time (he was retrenched when I was still in the Army), so we've been watching our expenses. The financial aid package I receive is definitely very much welcomed. And my sister (who's joining me in NUS next academic year) was also offered the same package. This takes a load off of our shoulders, money-wise anyway.

^^^ by Locksley @ 7:37 PM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

at close to 15kg with the tripod...yes, it is a heavy piece of metal.

but in real war time, i'll stick it it man!
We don't use the tripod, since it's mounted on the vehicle.

If I remember correctly, the weapon itself is already 14kg. Heavy little noisy-maker.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS