Thursday, April 13, 2006  

["Singaporeans are stupid"...]


There's a bit of a furore in the local tabloids recently. Taiwanese independent legislator Li Ao commented about the Chinese people in the region, giving each country's Chinese population an offending label each. Folks in Singapore were labeled "stupid".

I'd imagine that for most locals, this would be the first time they've ever heard of Li Ao. Not me, though. My Dad has a keen interest in politics, and he follows the political situation in Taiwan very closely as well. He's an avid viewer of Li Ao's talkshow, and that's when I was first introduced to him.

I've never liked watching or listening to Li Ao. He hasn't any guests on his talkshow, and does a rather one-sided trashing of whoever he feels like picking on. Granted, I don't know too much about politics and I've never watched an entire episode of his talkshow; he might be spot-on regarding the issues he talks about on his show, for all I know. According to my Dad, he's a very well-educated man who knows exactly what he's talking about (maybe I should consult my Dad again on this issue).

Still, to me, someone who has the ability to bitch about one issue after another, 5-days a week on TV is someone who just likes to shoot his mouth off. So it didn't really surprise me when I learnt what he said. I mean, this is what he does for a living -- Pissing people off.

What made me sit up and take notice was that after learning of the angry reactions in Singapore to his comments, he said if Singapore would invite him, he'd be glad to come over and explain what he meant by "stupid".

Let me get this straight.

You called us stupid, and now you want us to invite (read: pay) you to come over to tell us exactly why you think we're stupid?

If we did that, then we'd really be stupid.


Hey, at least he's hip..."V" sign for victory and all.

[If you're wondering, yes, I picked out the most ridiculous pictures of him that I could find from Google Images.]

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:57 PM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

lol
yepz, i followed the incident too. Well his point traced back to our immigrants forefathers and their cultural background, but what he did not consider was probably that genes do not determine intelligence altogether. Then again, our own MM Lee caused something of a ripple some time back when he encouraged grads to have more babies too.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS