Sunday, April 02, 2006  

[It's a small world after all....]

Singapore is a small country. The IT industry here is smaller. And School of Computing is even smaller. I was once offered advice from someone, who said it was important not to offend anyone in the IT industry, because it was so small the chances of running into that guy again somewhere down the road would be pretty high.

Last year, in the months of June and July, several freshmen contacted me to clear some doubts regarding the system in NUS/SoC. Most of them got my contact from HardwareZone, where I posted replies in some threads in the University forum. I didn't mind, always glad to help out, since I remember how lost and overwhelming it can be, having spent 2-years living the military life and now having to switch your mindset back to the normal, compatible-with-society mode.

In the first tutorial of one of my level-3 modules this semester, I heard a name which I thought belonged to one of the freshmen whom I talked to. I was occupied with some matters right then, so I didn't read too much into it.

Last week, the final presentation team presented their case study. I saw "the name" on the slides, and I was sure it was the same freshman I talked to almost 8-months ago. He had no idea who I was (in real life), and I recognised him only because I put his MSN nick and email together. His friends called him using his MSN nick (which was a regular English name), while his name on the slide was his real name, which he used in his email.

I didn't approach him to introduce myself or anything. We might meet again next semester, who knows? It'd be an interesting ice-breaker for next time.

This just reminds me of all the "small world, eh?" incidents I've encounter over the years:
  1. One of my sister's friends in school was my secondary school teacher's daughter.
  2. A friend of mine from secondary school (now in NUS Business School) knew another friend of mine in SoC because they took a level-1 Computing module together.
  3. One of my project-mates was friends with above-said secondary school friend because they went to the same JC.
  4. One of the girls from the Computing Club who welcomed the 10 of us when we matriculated was the cousin of a female fresh(wo)man from my Orientation Group about 6-months later.
  5. A girl whom I almost did a project with this semester, is the cousin of a friend of mine. He matriculated with me, part of the "lost child" group.
  6. My polytechnic classmate who matriculated one semester after me is friends with another fresh(wo)man from my Orientation Group. I found out when he forwarded a funny email to me, and I saw her email in the headers.
And the list goes on. You're probably confused or skipped the entire chunk. Don't blame you...I didn't really expect anyone else to understand the complex relationships I mentioned above.

To add on, my cousin is joining me in SoC next academic year. My sister is slanted to join the Science Faculty, which is next to SoC and students from both faculties share a canteen. But hell, SoC might be moving, so I wouldn't know if I'd bump into her a lot next semester. We'll see.

^^^ by Locksley @ 2:23 PM. 1 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

I agreed with you. My ex-housemate's elder brother and my elder brother was actually housemates during their overseas studies days!!! We did not find out until our flight day about a month ago where both our family saw each other...lol. Think I will write about this on my blog as well when I am free and have nothing to write...lol
[<---Back to Main]
RSS