Sunday, March 12, 2006  

[How's that again?]

A friend of mine came over earlier today (yesterday, to be exact). He was my platoon-mate when I was in the Army, and needed my help with his computer. Most of the time when someone I knew from my days in the Army calls on me (in person or on the phone), it's usually because they need me to do something for them. Don't you just love fair-weathered friends?

The people I was around during my Army days were...different. Most of them did not do well in school. That doesn't mean they were slow or anything (some of them were really smart, but just couldn't apply themselves in school). Okay, some of them were kinda slow, but that's another story.

Seeing my friend today reminded me of the time I spent in the Army, and certain conversations came to mind. I'll reproduce some of them here (some local slang may not be understood by our international readers):

One of our platoon-mates had to go home during the day because his grandmother passed away. This conversation happened in the evening, when we were about to go for dinner.

Guy A: Where's [name of the guy who lost his grandmother]?
Guy B: He booked-out. His grandma passed away.
Guy A: (shocked/concerned look on his face) What? Suddenly ah?
Me: (shocked look on my face, though for a totally different reason) No, they planned out her death weeks in advance.

This took place in Australia. We were lying down in a jungle clearing during the day. We didn't have much to do, the vehicles were in a live-firing exercise and we were not involved.

It was pretty hot, and someone tied a groundsheet in a half-assed manner over our spot. The wind was going to town with the groundsheet. Guy A and I were lying down, with our eyes closed.

Guy X: This is a good idea, but it's bad, so it must be a good idea.

Both Guy A and I heard it, and had to sit up because we both rocked with laughter. What X meant was, typing the groundsheet above us was a good idea, but it's not properly done, so he's going to do a better job. The only reason we understood what he said was because we've been around him long enough.

This happened back in Singapore. We had a bad night in our barracks, with mosquitoes having a great meal during the night.

Guy X: Wah lau. Last night a lot of ants. Keep biting me. Flying around my ears also.

Okay, not so funny. It was hilarious in Mandarin when he said it.

This one is about Guy X again. Yes, Guy X is the same guy. The guys were playing a card game. He joined midway, and asked the most profound question of all...

Guy X: Aye....What you'all playing? Winner in or loser out?
It's really too bad Guy X and I travel in different circles now. If I stayed around him long enough, I'm sure I'd have enough material to write a book.

Okay, that's it for me. I'm turning in. My back's a bit better, but I have a splitting headache as I type this. Why am I always in pain? Physical pain, emotional pain, etc....I'm always suffering from one of them.

^^^ by Locksley @ 1:16 AM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

Man..u better rest early..i guess u meant that your back's a bit better, not "letter" :P
Ooops....Typo. I'll change it now.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS