Friday, January 20, 2006  

[Fortune Cookies != Chinese]

I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while now.

The fortune cookie is NOT a Chinese after-dinner snack. I've been Chinese for all 23 (soon to be 24) years of my life, and the only time I ate a fortune cookie was when I was in LA. It was probably invented as a restaurant gimmick by an enterprising immigrant. The closest thing we have in our heritage to that are moon-cakes, eaten during the mid-autumn festival.

And another thing. When I say I'm Chinese, I don't mean China-Chinese. I mean Singapore-Chinese. It's actually very much like white folks in England and the United States. My grandparents (on both sides of the family) were from China, and came to Singapore....A long time ago. So in retrospect, the folks in China are the British and us here in Singapore are the Americans.

I don't know what made me think of this all of a sudden. This entry was supposed to be about fortune cookies. I ended up talking about the British, Americans, and Chinese in 2 different countries.

I think I need to lie down...

^^^ by Locksley @ 12:07 AM. 1 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

Thanks for clarifying the question
of "Fortune Cookies".

I always wondered about that...

Marie
[<---Back to Main]
RSS