Tuesday, December 06, 2005  

[Worst game of the year...]

...goes to Fifa 2006.

I don't care what the review sites say, this game sucks. Let me tell you why. First of all, the programmers at EA Sports decided to play a prank on the supporters of the "famous" clubs, like Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real Madrid, etc. You cannot manage them when you first start the game, and unless you had the presence of mind to unlock "Career Teams", you'll never be able to play using the famous clubs in Manager mode.

Next complaint is the AI/gameplay. Whoever designed the AI in the game obviously does not watch or play football (it's called football, not soccer, take the hint when the whole world calls it football except you....). Let me count the ways:

  1. This is one of my biggest pet peeve. Say the opposing team's defender clears the ball with a powerful kick that sends the ball back to the edge of your penalty box. What happens? In real life, the keeper would come out and knock the ball back to his defenders. In the game, the keeper stands there watching, while one of the central defenders run from somewhere near the halfway line (if you push up using flat-back strategy) back all the way to claim the ball. Usually he's followed by an opposing team's player. Great......


  2. NO ONE WANTS TO GET OPEN! Imagine the full-back running with the ball, with his winger and an opposing player all in a line, with the opposing player in the middle. What happens? Does the winger get open? Nope. He stays in that straight line, lest the full-back pass him the ball. I've lost count of the times I lost the ball because none of my other bloody players would simply GET OPEN!!


  3. In Fifa 2005, when one of your players are injured, the controller would vibrate when the injury was suffered. In Fifa 2006, it may or may not vibrate. I played with an injured left-back throughout the whole game once because the controller did not vibrate. Yes, the player status bar would show if the player's injured, but I really haven't the time to look at the bar when I'm looking for another player to GET OPEN!!! AAaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!! *tears out a clump of hair*


  4. Long through balls. Oh my God.....The AI has no idea how long/through balls should work. When the midfielders pass the ball over to the strikers using a long through chip (the strikers would be behind the opposing team's defenders at this point to prevent offside), the ball does not land ahead of the strikers. Instead, the strikers run while the ball is in the air, and as the ball land, they would be right at the position to receive the ball. This would also mean that once they touch the ball, the opposing team's defenders would be able to steal it from them. WTF? PASS THE DAMN BALL FURTHER UPFIELD!!! AAAaaaahhhhh!!! *tears more hair out*

I can't think of anymore AI/gameplay issues right now. Suffering from loss of hair. Andy Gray's still the pundit for the game, although he talks lesser now. I hate him. I hate listening to him on TV when he's the pundit, and I hate listening to him offering his "thoughts" in the game. It's like a chemical thing...Whenever I hear his voice, something triggers in my brain and I need to hit something. The commentary improved a bit from the last Fifa, although some silly phrases still remain:

  1. "A bad place to lose the ball." Tell me, where would be a good place to lose the ball? Go ahead, think. Where would be a good place to lose the ball?

Ok, I can't think of anymore silly phrases right this moment, but believe me, there are more. Now, on to my last pet peeve about the game.

This is hard to explain. When I first started playing, I used Wigan. Won the League title twice, and European Champions once. It was not too bad playing with Wigan, the speed of the game was just right.

Fast forward to playing with Manchester United. United is a 5-star team, and the playing speed actually increases when you use them. I can't explain it to you, but it seems like all the players have superhuman powers when you see them run and turn. It's hard enough as it is to look for players who are OPEN (insert swear word here), now we are "assisted" by the insane game speed.

Save your money, don't buy this game. Save your time, don't play this game. Save your hair, don't pull them out from the frustration of playing this game.

^^^ by Locksley @ 12:01 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS