Wednesday, December 28, 2005  

[New stuff for the new school term...]

Almost every student in Singapore wore white socks and white shoes throughout their primary and secondary school days. I was no different, wearing them for 10 years in total. When I left secondary school, I swore I'd never wear those uncomfortable torture devices again.

Ever since then, I've been wearing sandals or sports shoes when I go out. After 7 years, I think it's time to move on. I'm going to be 24 soon, and it wouldn't look good to go everywhere in sports shoes.


Bought a new pair of shoes yesterday when I went shopping. It's actually meant for hiking, which meant that it's a lot heavier than sports shoes. It looks more formal than sports shoes, but not so formal that you can't wear it everyday. When I was trying it out, the saleswoman said something about Goretex but I didn't quite catch what she said. I only realised that this pair of shoes had Goretex in it's sides when I reached home and read the little card inside.

What's the big deal about Goretex? When I was in the Army, I was issued the old leather boots when I enlisted. They were sturdy and could last very long, but they were an absolute torture for the feet. Then came the Goretex version, which was a God-send since they were very comfortable and did not require any "breaking in". The only problem was that it was made of man-made leather (I think), and wore out very fast. I actually wanted to buy a pair of Goretex boots for my own use after I completed my service, but by that time the ones I liked with the Goretex material at the side of the boots were phased out and the whole thing was man-made leather.

On a related topic, I ran into a friend on my way home. I know him from during my time in the Army. I was about to complete my service, and he was just starting his. He caught me up with some of the latest developments in my old unit. Most of the people have left, having completed their tour and were posted to other places. Of those that remained, one was a commander whom I was directly under towards the end. His life spiraled out of control in the last year, and have a few court cases pending due to drunk driving. I was sad to hear that since we were pretty close towards the end and he always treated me fairly and helped me out of some sticky situations.


Back to my loot....I also bought a few Nike t-shirts. This one made me laugh because I just couldn't figure out the significance of "love machine". Even after I saw the Nike Tennis logo on the sleeve, I couldn't figure it out. I only realised what it meant last night, while lying on my bed and reading an Archie comic.


On a sad note, 3 posts ago I wrote about the longest surviving fish I had in my tank. Today, 1 of them died. There were no signs of any illness, so I figure it's probably due to old age. It's been with me for almost 2 years, and I estimate that it's probably around 3-6 months old when I bought it at the fish shop. That's a good run for a fish.

^^^ by Locksley @ 8:08 PM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

Is that an upside-down catfish? I'm so sorry it died. We have one and love him very much.
No, it's a corydoras catfish. To think just on Christmas I took a picture of them, since they were the oldest pair of fishes in my tank.

http://locksleychang.blogspot.com/2005/12/fishy-business.html
[<---Back to Main]
RSS