Saturday, December 10, 2005  

[Google me for unexpected results...]

I added 2 new things to my blog today. A blog-counter and er....An "Animal of the Day". The blog-counter was offered free by BlogExplosion, since I was already a member, I thought I'd try it out. I saw the "Animal of the Day" from another site, and I thought it would be fun/interesting to try out.

I've tried a couple of times to get my blog listed in Google with no success (or so I thought). You can submit your URL, but they may or may not ever list it. I've submitted my URL a few times, waited for a few days and searched for it. Nothing.

I've actually given up when I saw on my blog-counter's stats page that someone actually arrived at my blog from Google. I checked out the link, and realised that if you searched for "guppy fries", you'll see my blog on the 2nd page. I guess my work is done.... :)

I took a look at the results provided by Google when one searched for "guppy fries". One of the results that ranked before my site was http://webpages.csus.edu/~qn22/breeding.htm. I took some time to surf the site. The webmaster did not say who he was or where he was based in (if he/she did, I must have missed it), but from the way he wrote the contents I figured he's from an environment where English wasn't his first language. However, on his Journal page he mentioned about going to Fry's. To the best of my knowledge, that's an electronics chain in the US (I've been to one during my time there actually), and I've never heard of a Fry's Electronics outside the US. What a mystery....

But I digress...The level of the webmaster's language proficiency was not what I really wanted to comment about. I've kept guppies for almost 2 years now, and I find a lot of the information provided by the site to be inaccurate. For example, "guppy is tropical fish so if you keep the water at the right temperature, they should be have enough oxygen". I don't know where he got this from.

Also:

"First of all, you should decide which breed of guppy you want to breed. I recommend beginners choosing Black guppy or any type that shows black guppy train, because these can require less care. Choose one or two big and colorful male as you can because that indicate the male have reached its' full grow state. Also you should choose a big female because they give birth to more babies and strong babies later on."

Does the "Black" guppy strain really require less care? I don't know. What I do know, is that choosing the biggest female for mating is definitely a big mistake. I've been told by my Dad (who helped his father in their family-sized fish farm rearing guppies, among other fishes, for commercial sale) and by an aquarium shop owner that when breeding, you should NOT pick the biggest female. They are usually older, and the chances of having weaker, deformed fries are higher. The younger, not-so-big females are the ones you should use for breeding.

From my experience, while I've had big females giving birth to 60+ fries at a go, less than 20 made it to adulthood. I'll never forget the other time when a large female gave birth to only 3 live fries, while the rest were all deformed (2-headed included), dead, or still in "egg" form. Younger females give birth to lesser fries, but they are usually bigger and healthier.

The one thing that made him lose all his remaining credibility was his albino guppy page. His pictures were all external links, and best of all, none of the guppies in the photos were albino. Albino guppies have red eyes. The guppies in those pictures clearly had black eyes.

I give him an "E" for effort.

^^^ by Locksley @ 11:03 PM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

Yeah, I am. :P
I get notified for all comments, although once in a while the email notification gets lost. There has been one or two comments in the past where I did not get notified, but they were for new posts, so I did not miss them.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS