Sunday, December 25, 2005  

[Fishy business...]

I bought my first fish tank on January 2nd, 2004. On that day, besides the tank, I also bought a few fishes. If I remember correctly, it was a bunch of guppies, a few neon tetras and a pair of corydoras.


This pair of corys are the oldest fish I have with me, having been with me for almost 2 years. They've been through all the "disasters", including the beginning when my tank wasn't matured enough and all the fishes I bought just kept dying one after another. They also survived the "air curtain" incident. That was when I bought a rubber tubing which connects to an air pump and creates a wall of very fine air bubbles. It was beautiful, but all my fishes died overnight. Except my corys. I guess there was something toxic in the rubber. The one on the left is female, which shows since she's clearly bigger than the other one. They've spawned on a number of occasions, but the eggs always get moldy before they could hatch. :(


If that pair of corys are the oldest in my tank, this albino cory would be running a close second. I cannot remember when I bought this cory...But it couldn't have been more than 6 months after I bought my tank. I also bought them in a pair, and one of them died last month. This one is dying too....As can be seen from the blood-streaked tail and it's loss of balance. It was swimming funny yesterday, and the blood-streaks appeared this morning.

I've been experimenting with my Nikon 5600 for a long time, trying to take a good picture of my fish tank. It was hard to take a good picture. If I used a flash, whatever's in my tank would look dark while the back wallpaper would be the focus of the photo. If I didn't use a flash, the fishes would all look blurred since they were swimming around and not posing for a photo. I've finally figured it out...I chose not to use a flash and lowered the exposure time of the lens.


So there you have it...My fish tank. This is a 2-feet tank that's actually beside me right now. Yeah, I placed it next to my computer. It's my second tank, my first one was a smaller one which my Dad's using now to keep fishes of his own. It's a low-maintenance tank. No gravel, no live plants. Just a piece of driftwood and some small decorations. I used to have gravel, but it was just too much of a bother to clean because leftover food and fish waste keeps building up in it. All I need to do now is change water and scrub the tank walls once in a while.

It's a plain-looking tank, and somewhere down the line I plan to convert it to a planted tank. I might get started on it during my next school vacation.

^^^ by Locksley @ 5:50 PM. 2 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

the orange colour one so poor thing!! :(
It's albino...Not "orange". And I can't believe we're doing this.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS