Friday, December 16, 2005  

[Bret Hart]


I just finished watching the Bret Hart DVD released by WWE last month. After watching all the matches, I was once again reminded of what an exceptional wrestler he was. His career was colourful towards the end, what with the "Attitude" era, his American heel turn, the Montreal incident, the death of Owen Hart and finally being kicked in the head by Goldberg which ended his career.

My first memory of watching Bret wrestle was at SummerSlam '91, where he won the Intercontinental Championship from Curt Hennig. I was 9 years old then. I've been watching wrestling since I was 5, with my Dad, and as incredible as it sounds, I can sort-of tell a good match from a bad one. Probably the reason why I don't remember any of Hulk Hogan's matches....


Bret's finishing move was the Sharpshooter, and before I watched the DVD, I always thought that the only wrestlers other than Bret who could execute the move correctly was the late Owen Hart and Chris Benoit. I remember watching The Rock put on a lame, half-assed version of it. I vaguely remember watching a few other wrestlers having a hard time putting it on, but their names fail me right now.


Ironically, while watching the DVD, I spotted Bret himself screwing up the Sharpshooter on a few occasions. Against Curt Hennig at Summerslam '91 and against the Undertaker...I cannot remember when. The match against the Undertaker was in the 3rd disc. Compare the 2 Sharpshooters. The one on top is the "correct" one. Whenever Bret does the grapevine around his right leg, he would mess it up.

^^^ by Locksley @ 12:56 AM. 4 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

There was another time where he screwed up. King of the Ring, against Diesel.

Btw, can give me the source for your WWE videos? I have been wanting to get the Bret Hart DVD also.
BQ: Email me. locksley@usa.com
Bret was good. He is missed. but I'm not sure he could fit in with today's style.
I agree. In fact, I've always thought that there would be a fair chance that people would start chanting "boring..." You seldom see mat wrestling nowadays, like when one guy puts another in a headlock on the mat and then roll around for the next 5 minutes.

Guaranteed "boring..." chants.
[<---Back to Main]
RSS