Saturday, July 16, 2005  

[How's that again?]


I placed a reservation for James Patterson's 4th Of July quite a while back. The note finally came on Wednesday telling me I could pick it up. Before you think otherwise, this is actually a crime novel, book 4 of it's series (hence the title), and not some pro-American patriotic book. James Patterson is also the author of Kiss The Girls and Along Came A Spider, both made into Hollywood movies. I like his books because of the fast-paced action, reading his books is like watching a movie.

So I went down to the library today (actually yesterday) to pick up the book. This was my first time reserving a book. It costs $1.55 to reserve a book, but I figure it's worth it because, first of all, if I didn't reserve it, I'd not be able to read it anytime soon. The reserve list when I made my reservation was 18 readers long. Secondly, chances are I would have to hunt the book down in another library (after consulting the online catalog) if I didn't reserve it, and the transport cost would most likely be more than $1.55.

I went up to the librarian at the counter and handed her the note that came in the mail, she checked it and then asked me to make payment with a Cashcard at the payment terminal while she got the book for me. Here's where the fun started.

I went to the payment terminal, scanned my library card and saw the $1.55 charge. I took out my Cashcard and then...Wait a minute, how do I insert the Cashcard? There were no instructions or anything on the screen, nor were there any on the Cashcard reader. So I inserted the Cashcard and then quickly pulled it out, like how I use an ATM card. Then it occurred to me that the Cashcard stores it's information on the chip instead of the magnetic strip. So I pushed the Cashcard in and waited. After about 5 seconds (during which I was wondering whether did I do the right thing or did I just break the library's Cashcard machine), the screen finally acknowledged that I inserted the Cashcard, and then began to deduct the charges.

I waited for a while. When I don't see anything happening, I tried pulling the Cashcard out by force. Of course that didn't work. But 2 seconds after that, the machine ejected my Cashcard, mission accomplished!

There was an auntie behind me, waiting to use the machine. She looked at me like I was crazy. She must have saw the whole episode. Great....The auntie is more tech-savvy than me.

I guess there's a first time for everything.

^^^ by Locksley @ 12:53 AM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS