Saturday, January 17, 2004  

[So tired I couldn't even sleep...So many secrets I couldn't keep...]

This has been a tiring week to say the least. Let's see...On Monday and Tuesday, I cleared the arms until it was 12+. By the time I got back to my bunk, the lights were off and everyone was asleep. Bummer. Can't remember what I did on Wednesday and Thursday, but I remember I slept very late as well.

Went for river crossing yesterday. What an experience. We did it a total of 3 times. First time, platoon level. For platoon level, I was part of the rope party, meaning there was no rope for me to cross with. Me and two other people had to swim across the river by ourselves and set up the rope on the other side. Not too bad...I was the first to reach. :) Anyhow, we did it two more times company level, once in the day and once at night.

Had a turnout by the GSI people on Thursday. And to prepare us for that, we had one by our CO on Tuesday. We did quite badly, no sense of urgency and all that bullshit. The officers noticed that we were very low and morale, and in the afternoon, the platoon commanders picked a few of the more "influential" people in the platoon to have a heart-to-heart with all the officers. I was among the ones selected. Nice to know that they think I'm "influential" enough.

Later that night, our Encik had a similar session with a representative from each section. Once again, I was nominated. Most of us were unhappy with some of the decisions he's made recently, and he called us in to tell us the rationale behind the decisions he made. I was actually very angry before going in, seeing how he made us clean arms all day and then asked for a stand-by bed at 9pm. But after hearing him out, I did cool down a lot, as most of what he said made sense. Then again, he's been described as someone who has "a thousand and one reasons for the things he to". Mmmm....On a side note, I was picked for both "peace talks". I wonder if that's a good thing.

We got a "high recon 1" for our actual turnout on Thursday. Made Encik happy, of course. Me...I was in the ammo party. Getting the ammo from the ammo dump was quite uneventful, except for me meeting a friend from BMT at the ammo dump. He's now a sergeant in 21SA. Looked different from last time. Returning the ammo when the turnout was over was less fun. I'm on the first tonner, and we got there at like...5pm. And from 5pm to 7pm, the tonner cannot get on the roads, due to rush hour. So the other tonners cannot leave camp to go to the ammo dump, and I was stuck at the ammo dump with my sergeant. And to top it all off, when they finally took off at 7pm, one of the tonners broke down! But the good news is, my buddy actually packed and prepared my field pack for me before I got back, so I was able to jump into bed and sleep before the other people who were also in the ammo party.

Final note...Got promoted to corporal on Tuesday. Yay me...I guess.

^^^ by Locksley @ 9:20 PM. 0 comments.
[Read Comments] [Post Comments]


[Comments]

[<---Back to Main]
RSS